Addie and Stuart were bored yesterday. They and Mollie went to three different houses looking for playmates, and no one could play. I suggested we play pretend, which Stuart said wasn't a good idea.
But when I said we lived in a magic hidden kingdom and we all had jewel names (except Stuart, who was a monster from his current computer game fascination, "Puzzle Hero"), and furthermore we all had one special magic power, they forgot that pretending wasn't a good idea. While I decided on my one special magic power, the kids decided on their TWO special magic powers. Oh, wait! If you find a jewel, then you got ANOTHER special power! Eventually Mollie had to abandon the game so she could write down all her special powers. She tried to get Addie and Stuart to do the same, but they were up a tree.
Meanwhile, there were chores to be done. I went out with a longshot of a plan in mind.
"I'm the bad boss monster," I announced. "I've just taken all of you captive."
They stared at me warily from among the branches of the trees.
"The only way you can defeat me is if you complete certain quests."
They started grinning.
"There are clothes and dishes to be put away. If you do these quests, then not only do you defeat the big bad boss monster, but you get an Oreo cookie."
This paltry and transparent attempt to interrupt their play to do their chores... WORKED. They rushed in, Mollie with them, and got everything done within about ten minutes. Then I had to pretend to die, and they sat and ate their cookies.
Stuart was jubilant in victory. Addie's motives were more mercenary, however: "I'll do anything for an Oreo cookie," she announced.
I'll remember that.
-- SJ
Tuesday, September 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Clever. I've had great success integrating potty training into D2's imaginary play.
D2: "I'm Papa. I came home from work."
QOC: "Well, Papa always goes potty right when he comes home from work."
D2: "OK."
It's amazing how many occupations regularly use the potty and always keep their pants dry.
You are so terribly creative! And I'm with Addie: I'll do anything for an Oreo cookie.
I enjoy seeing parents use their giftings while parenting- yours, of course, being creativity and imagination. And oreos. I'll file this away for further application.(:
I have SO done that, and it worked, the first time. My oldest, the realist, didn't bite the second time. :)
That's hilarious! You are such a good mom. :)
Btw, the books swap is up and we took note of your question about your book.
I LOVE this entry! I'm cracking up! Yea for you that it worked! You certainly know your children. I've done something like that with Gracie, except using "Fetch" with Ruff Ruffman. He sends kids on missions... so I would be Ruff and since she was almost forcing me to play the game I decided some of the missions involved picking up all the toys and other house work. I haven't used that in a while... I think I'll try it again. Wish me luck.
What a super game!!! The best I can come up with is to hide a small piece of candy under the mess, and announce that if you find the candy as you clean, you win it! It kind of works, however I have to stand there and make sure that if an item is picked up and looked under, it gets put away, and not thrown back down!!!
Mollie came home after the great fun at your house and announced she had to help with "charity work" at the Joneses. I laughed and wondered why can't she do "charity work" at home!!!
Post a Comment