Saturday, September 27, 2008

One More Possibly (or not) Helpful Hint

When you're running solo, one of the hardest things to take care of is yourself. As in, you feed everyone else, you get everyone else down for naps, you get the house picked up, and somewhere in all the getting you realize it's 3:00 and you haven't had lunch yet.

My solution is ideal -- assuming you're the type of person who can eat the same thing over and over until eventually you hate it. That would be me. See: Doritos, scrambled eggs, soft-bake Chips Ahoy cookies, Hamburger Helper, etc. But for a while everything's dandy.

When Darren left for a week, the first thing I did was make up a huge crockpot of beef stew and about three cups of rice. That took care of most of my meals and took off a whole load of stress.

Wow, you're thinking. I could do beef stew (or Thai, or Summer Soup, or Black Bean salad, or whatever) for a few days. What a good idea! Yes, well, you might not want to go quite as gung-ho for it as I did. When I say "most of my meals," I mean breakfast, too. That's one of my food quirks, that I like supper food for breakfast. And of the supper foods I like, beef stew is astronomically high on my list.

So that was MY breakfast of champions, and it was fabulous. Tune in a year from now when I hate beef stew.

-- SJ

5 comments:

Susan Elizabeth said...

Sounds...interesting...Beef stew for brekkies. I have heard of cold pizza for breakfast, but never beef stew...You DID heat it up, right?

Sarah M. said...

I'm sorry, I know it's just me... but the thought of eating varying of the same food for a whole week makes me shudder. I am weird. I can't handle eating the same thing more than two meals in a row. But this is a good idea. I hadn't even thought about what I'll be eating for 2 weeks... now you've got me thinking.

Anonymous said...

Now I would have no problem eating the same thing for several days in a row. I am the type that waits until I am very hungry, wants to eat something half decent (as opposed to a snack),but does not want to wait until it is cooked. Having something I made previously and could heat up is perfect. Actually I also could, and do, eat dinner foods for breakfast. I much prefer to eat a chicken salad sandwich for breakfast than eggs. Eggs and bacon for supper are just delicious though! Why do you think I made french toast when you kids were over? They loved it, but so did I!!!

Dana said...

Beef stew for breakfast sounds somehow familiar... like we've done it before...

the Joneses said...

Yes, I heated it up! And yes, Dana, it brought back fond memories. :)

-- SJ