One of the lesser-known bonuses of a good marriage is that you inherit good friends. My new Jones family came with a throng of friends, and I've spent eight years getting to know them [also: sorting them out]. I met Liane (Seriously.) about three years ago at a reunion of Darren's Bible School class, but it's through her blog that I feel I've gotten to know her. Liane almost always makes me laugh, except when sometimes she makes me cry, and she's the crafty type of mom that all the rest of us think we're supposed to be. Liane's sister is Claire (Brad and Claire), whom I haven't actually... I don't think... um, nope, I haven't actually met. [EDIT: Or apparently I have, the same time I met Liane, but I met so many people I'd only heard of before that I mixed up names and faces something awful.] I like her blog, though. I check in with their sister, Karena, and part of me envies her for living in England. (The other part of me digs my nails into American soil and refuses to budge.) I'm sorry I never knew their brother, Andrew; you can read about him here.
I found Conversion Diary through Google Reader. I don't follow many Impersonal Blogs, that is, ones whose authors I don't know, and which attracts a big readership. This one I've appreciated deeply, however, because she has been addressing thoughts that have colored my life of late. But she's coming from exactly the opposite direction, as an atheist-now-Christian, not as a lifelong Christian confronting serious questions.
Danielle (Dance by the Light) was my housemate during a very formative six months of my life. We, along with three other girls, were interns for HSLDA during the first half of 1997 (good heavens, that long ago?). They all challenged the way I thought -- and still do, for that matter. The five of us had some great times, late nights, and long talks about things we thought we understood. Danielle's the goal-oriented artistic sort, although right now her life is pretty darn full with twin toddler boys. I've always envied Danielle's gorgeous red hair and singing voice.
More to come periodically.
-- SJ
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You know what is funny? I actually "met" Jennifer (of Conversion Diary) only around the same time I met you, when she was still an atheist, right before she got married-she was asking me questions about the Bible and Christianity via email. I was so excited when I found out more recently that she had become a Christian and that she now had a blog. :)
Thanks for the introduction! I feel so welcome, ha ha! :)
I hate to be the voice of contradiction, but I did meet you! Well, sort of. I was at Fairwood the weekend of the FBI reunion you referred to - not part of the group of course, but just hanging out... b/c Brad lived there at the time. I don't think we were formally introduced but I think we may have been part of the same group conversation in the kitchen at one point... I'm glad to know you and your blog!
Thanks for the kind words. I am honored to be on your blogroll. It does seem so strange to think we've only met once in 'real life'. I remember those biscuits you made for our dinner...mmmmm, southern cooking!
Sara - unrelated to your post. Do I remember correctly that your email address has changed recently? I can't remember now... if so... can you email me from your new address? I have a question re: the book swap to send you. Thanks!
Post a Comment