Read Part I here, Part II here, Part III here.
Friday, 18th –
March is almost gone! Hard to believe how quickly time passes. Just last night I was telling David how the hours just fly by in the afternoons, and it's hard to fit in all the fun projects I plan for Phillip and Jacob to do. I'm glad it's a weekend, though. Other than a couple of dinner parties and a lecture at the Literary Society (they asked me back), we don't have anything in particular to do. It's this homey, low-key life that I treasure most.
Sunday, 20th –
Realized at church that in all my busyness, I'm really slacking off on my Bible readings and prayer. But it's hard to fit it in, with the kids being so small right now. I'm lucky if I get more than an hour done each day. It's so hard to balance these things. At least we have a good schedule. It really simplifies the day to structure it so that the kids know when to sleep, when to eat, and when to play.
Monday, 21st –
Volunteered the afternoon at the Ladies' Missionary Aid Society, getting ready for their annual charity ball. I took my famous seven-layer brandy-snap fudge cake (made it last night after the boys went to bed). After a quick shopping trip to pick up some essentials (Francois says we're completely out of goat cheese – I don't know how we let that happen), I got home just in time to get supper on the table. Francois was a bit late getting the veal parmigiana finished, but I wore a smile anyway. I'm learning not to let life's little trials get to me.
Tuesday, 22nd –
Worst luck, came down with a cold this morning and couldn't hold my tea. I was glad for the break, really. I got to spend some quality time with my children. They aren't feeling well, either, so I tucked them into bed and they lay quietly all day. Jacob cried a little, but I soothed him and he went back to looking at books in his bed so I could rest. Sick days are so hard, but we got through!
Thursday, 24th –
We're all still sick today. Matthew didn't sleep well last night, and I got only an hour's extra sleep in the morning before the other two got up at 9:30. I felt so blah that I didn't even vacuum, which I always do on Wednesdays. I was glad that nobody came over except someone from the governor’s office who wanted my advice on how to handle a senstive issue they're facing. Obviously it wasn't a very exciting day today!
Friday, 25th–
Did some Caribbean shopping today: suits for all of us, new shorts outfits, etc. I so enjoy swimsuit shopping! Met someone who said she'd attended my workshop at the theatre. Not only did it change her entire perspective on life, she said, but just the sight of me with my baby convinced her that she ought to stay at home with her kids from now on. Amazing what our little accomplishments can lead to!
Saturday, 26th–
Today was a much-overdue house organization day. Clothes to be switched out, papers to be sorted and filed, closets to be cleaned... I'm wiped out this evening, but the house is in order. Next time I won't let it go so long; honestly, it's probably been two months since I tackled the job!
Sunday, 27th –
Forgot to mention that I spent the last four days fasting, which was such an enjoyable experience that I'll do it again soon. Invited some friends for lunch after church. It was a bit rushed, as Francois has Sundays off and I didn't have much time to prepare a meal, but I scrounged up what I could and got it on the table in reasonable time. They were very gracious and said it was the best chicken cordon bleu they'd ever had. That's what friends are for, I guess!
Wednesday, 30th –
Everyone is feeling much better now. I decided to do something special for the kids, so we attended a ballet performance at the theatre. They were enthralled – it's so rewarding to see their little minds open up to the arts. Afterward we went to McDonald's... something of a comedown, I know, but I want them to enjoy the really "American" parts of life, too. Phillip was reluctant to eat there, but soon got into the swing of things. He's such a trooper.
Thursday, 31st --
End of the month already. Where does time go? I called the president of the Garden Club and regretfully declined their offer to arrange their flowers. It would be a little too much on my plate right now, with the Caribbean vacation looming. She sounded so disappointed that I offered to host a special afternoon tea just for the Club. This afternoon the entire club came, even some members who haven't been to a meeting in a year! As one of them said, "Anybody can miss a meeting, but nobody misses going to Gina Hackett’s!"
The end
-- SJ
Monday, June 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love your virtual socialite "journal entries!" They are so...so... right on and funny! You made me laugh today. Thanks!
Keep up the writing,
Debra
Oh, these are so good.
Ok, it took me a few minutes to realize this were not real! I was wondering who is David? What kind of life are those Jones leading?? And what is wrong with me for not having that same life.... :) I am so glad to realize it is not reality!!!
Post a Comment