Thursday, August 12, 2010

Don't Feel Like Titling This

I've read several good books lately -- not adult, not YA, but juvenile. But I'm not interested in them right now, so I don't feel like blogging about them. But you can check out this one: Addie, Stuart, and I have all enjoyed "The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy" by William Boniface.

I'm taking Saturday morning to plan next year's school. Because I have no idea what I'm going to be doing come September. But I'm not interested in school plans right now, either, so I'm not going to blog about that.

Today was the weekly Switchoff. Amanda, Deidre, and I meet every Thursday morning (well, Deige does when she doesn't have a brand-new baby, which she has had since July 4, happy late birthday Oliver!). Two "helpful moms" stay with the kids while one "lucky mom" goes out for two hours. I was the Lucky Mom today, and I honored the Sacred Sisterhood Rule of the Switchoff by not doing anything I *had* to get done. Instead I drank a hot chai and worked on stories. I did not plan school, which Darren was much too wise to suggest I do.

I recently discovered "flash fiction" -- stories that clock in at 1,000 words or less. I love the idea. I tried it myself. After serious cutting, trimming, and clipping, I got a story down to 1647 words. That's when I decided that maybe telling a story in 1,000 words wasn't my gifting.

I've found some new recipes lately, including how to make my own tortillas, but I don't feel like blogging about them.

Mostly I feel like sitting back in my chair, eating a salad, watching the House Fairies clean up the living room and kitchen, and letting beautiful prose flow from my fingertips into my dana. Since that isn't happening, everybody's just stuck with an entire blog post about what I don't feel like blogging about. Join us next time for more handy tips on how to be the life of the party!

-- SJ

4 comments:

mary said...

I remember this mood. It once resulted in the coining of the famous question, "Why don't you just call Dial-a-Prophet?"

But I know what you mean. I sit down to write something and end up having wasted much time doing quizzes and reading and anything but writing.

D said...

Tisk, tisk Darren... you're lucky to have escaped that suggestion without being seriously scathed.

Anonymous said...

This was the perfect blog - sometimes nothing is more exciting than something!

Mollie

Kelly Sauer said...

you're awesome, you know that?