Monday, August 02, 2010

Repost: Highly-Recommended Babysitter

This is a repost from March 2008, when Daphne was not yet two years old. We've recently rediscovered these videos, and Daph loves them just as much the second time around. I thought of re-running this post because there are several readers who now have toddlers and might find the recommendation helpful. Or at least take comfort in the idea that you can let your children watch T.V.

March 21, 2008
I recently read what ended up being an unhelpful article on "How to occupy your toddler while homeschooling." Apparently whatever planet the author lived on, her toddler wanted activities for independent play. In our house, the toddler wants to do whatever I am doing.

"Of course you don't want to use the T.V. as a babysitter," the article said with a dismissive wave. Maybe not on your planet. I'd love to use the T.V. as a babysitter, but have trouble finding anything that holds Daphne's attention more than the sight of Mama using a pencil. Then I found it: "Baby Signing Time."

(Kristen R., is this the video you recommended to me? If so, good call. If not, you should have.)

We've used a few basic signs with all our children but nothing elaborate. I brought home the DVD purely for babysitting purposes. Not only was Daphne was transfixed throughout, she actually picked up the signs. Having watched Volumes I & II several times now, she can sign about twenty words. Even better, she's learning to talk at the same time, so she says the words as she signs. It's a built-in translation service.

I like the second DVD better: the music is more my style. As far as Daphne's concerned, she highly recommends both of them. Let's go watch them. Right now. (And Mama hurries off to do school.)

-- SJ

Also, read about my sister's incredibly cute "conversation" with her one-year-old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea!

I'm not one to use TV as a babysitter since I feel it dulls their attention spans and I've found I can't compete with the fast pace music, flashy lights, and pace of TV with homeschooling. I also want my children to value low key looong conversations early. Studies show TV watching doesn't foster this. But, this sounds more low key with a "human" so it doesn't seem like it would effect this... Margaret Bullock

Kelly Sauer said...

I remember this post - I need to look these up...