Thursday, August 05, 2010

Kid Bits

Phillip is taking wobbly steps on his own now. He doesn't really need to walk: he's a crawling, climbing machine of destruction. Forget the Terrible Twos; Year One runs me ragged.

Today he got into the fridge, as he always does anytime anyone opens it. (He also climbed on the table, spilled water all over my BH&G magazine, let himself out the front door, pulled pie pans out of the cabinet, and inspected the garbage can, to name a few of his other activities today.) Daphne had eaten some of a bowl of pudding, then put it back in the fridge with the spoon still in it. By the time I got into the kitchen, Phillip was helping himself while Daphne exclaimed, "Phillip is learning how to like pudding!"

He isn't saying any words yet, but when his siblings pretend to fall down for his amusement, he remarks, "Oh!"

***

Stuart found a game on Addicting Games.com called Doodle God. You're given three or four different elements, like air and fire and earth and birds and whatever, and you have to combine them to make new things. Somehow I managed to create "humans." Then discovered accidentally that when you click it twice, you get "sex." The icon shows two small figures in a compromising position. Of course Addie and Stuart were looking over my shoulder, and of course I couldn't hide it quickly enough. "Oh, sex," Addie said. "Yay! Babies!"

Um. Yes! SexEd going along just fine in this household, thanks very much! (I hold it against the game, by the way, that babies do not seem to result no matter now many times you click the humans. Addie apparently has a better grasp of the natural order of things than the doodle god does.)

***

Daphne loves playing on Starfall.com. She likes to find the parts that talk about composers and their music. She recognizes a couple of Beethoven's themes from Baby Einstein videos, and now can identify them by symphony because Starfall tells her the name and plays a clip. It's pretty funny to hear her three-year-old voice explaining that "this is Beethoven's fourth symphony! And here is Beethoven's fifth symphony! I used to think it was scary but now I like it."

So there you have it.

-- SJ

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Guess I should've anticipated such smart kids considering who the parents are, but wow what amazing kids you have. I cant even tell Beethoven from Mozart.

And dang girl, I got tired just READING about Phillip's activities -- it is amazing that you aren't completely worn ragged.

Love you and I miss you.

Kelly Sauer said...

omigoodness - I thought three was bad...

I am so going to ask you about how you're doing the Sex-Ed thing. I've been slowly working through your family size posts. You've got some really great stuff there.

Have I told you lately that your kids are great?

the Joneses said...

Lissa - Don't be *that* impressed! The site tells Daphne that it's Beethoven's symphonies. Otherwise she'd have no clue in the universe. I certainly can't tell the difference unless told.

Kelly - Lots of conversations and a few well-chosen books have formed the basis of our Education. I admit, though, I didn't know that Addie had put ALL the pieces together.

-- SJ

bafferly said...

Love, love love the updates! Even when you don't post real pictures, your Word Pictures leave me smiling just as much. Either way, the glimpses of the kids are vivid and honey to my heart.

Good things goin' on there in VA!
Love,
Nana

mary said...

Sara, Phillip's day wore me out, long distance. The game comment was funny, but don't you hate that there are pitfalls everywhere you turn--if not outright bad language, just vulgarity. Makes me wonder if T.S. Eliot should have written that "this is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a snicker." Sorry, didn't know that I was going to get on my soapbox.

Anonymous said...

Love your latest blog - pudding, sex and beethoven. What more could a mom want???

Mollie

D said...

Pip, pip... *shakes head*

That's very funny. We will NOT be playing doodle god. ;-)

I love this line "I used to think it was scary but now I like it"

Kate Roberts said...

I MISS THE JONES FAMILY!