I'm not badly plagued by morning sickness. I spend a few weeks feeling carsicky -- all the time, all day and night -- but it's rarely worse than that. But it's enough for my body to form permanent aversions toward innocent offenders.
Food isn't much of a problem: I can eat everything I normally like, and lots of it, too. My aversions instead take the form of what I hear.
When I was newly pregnant with Addie, I watched "My Best Friend's Wedding." I hated it, of course, but that had more to do with Julia Roberts than morning sickness. I did like the opening song, "Wishin' and Hopin'." Liked it so much that Darren got me the soundtrack. I listened to it maybe four times. Ugh. Ugh. The thought of that song, and the pink background on the movie itself, still makes me ill. I lent the CD to Lindsay, who let someone else borrow it, and I hope whoever that was mailed it to Australia. I was glad to get the CD as far away from me as possible.
When I was pregnant with Stuart, Addie (barely a year old) watched a lot of Baby Einstein videos. Six years later I can hardly be in the same room with Baby Doolittle. The rest are okay, but the music for Doolittle nauseates me.
I seem to have passed through Daphne's pregnancy unscarred, but this one is making up for it. So far I'm unable to listen to the kids' CD "Songs of America," and the very sight of the BigFish.com game "Monster Mash" -- even without hearing the music -- makes me feel icky. Oh, and also I can't play the game "Pirate Poppers" (some $9.99 game we picked up at Target) because I played it in the early days of pregnancy so, well, you know how it goes.
Do you have any odd aversions thanks to sickness (pregnancy or otherwise related?)
-- SJ
P.S. Handy-dandy way to remember if you should use the word "nauseate" or "nauseous.":
1. Nauseated means you feel sick. It's something you ATE - nauseATE.
2. Nauseous means it makes you sick. It makes US sick - nauseoUS.
Try not to tell people that you're nauseous. They might agree with you.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Thanks for the tip for remembering nauseous/nauseated. Kind of funny that you explain it here because the weekend of Thanksgiving when we were all sick I kept wondering the proper use of those two words and meant to look it up but forgot.
Ha! Great post, Sara! I can't say that I was ever ill from listening to anything...just certain smells...I am a coffee drinker, but for all 4 pregnancies, I couldn't stand the taste or smell of it!
And one particular memory: When I was pregnant with Melody (my 1st), I was desperately sick, but craved Dairy Queen hotdogs! Not that I ever enjoyed one...I was too sick! (but when I started to feel better, oh boy, those hotdogs were soo good!)
When I was first expecting Darren, I was also teaching 6th grade in a public school up here.
I had just re-decorated the bulletin boards with bright red and gold background paper, and soon after the pregnancy nausea began, I had to take those colors down. Even 35 years later when I see a particular blend of those two colors, I'll remember the Unpleasant Sweeps that they
caused.
Love, Miss Bev
With all three I could not be near food or look at in a newspaper or anything, except watch cooking shows, so I spent 4 months not eating, vomiting what I did eat, (was on iv's) and watching mass amounts of cooking shows. Any other movement, sound, anything made me sick. Couldn't even have the kids in the room I would get sick. That said I did read my old Victoria magazines straight through cover to cover--I could look at those but absolutely NOTHING else. God thing I have very little memory of it. :)
Oooo, I just remembered--to this day the only meal my husband would make during that time for himself (spicy rice as he calls it--curry, tuna, cumin, rice) makes me SO SICK even now because it never failed to make me sick when he made it--it stinks though it tastes incredible.
When I was pregnant with the twins and sooooo sick and sooooo tired, we got the kids an exciting video game in the hopes that they would play it most of the day while I dozed on the recliner. It worked for awhile---and now the sound of that game makes me feel icky.
I never want to see another rice cake as long as I live. Seriously, for the first four weeks of morning sickness that was about all I could keep down.
Wow. Very interesting. You should do a scientific study on this.
I didn't like garlic when I was prego with Gracie. I'm ok with it now though.
Looking at the refrigerator made me feel sick with both of my pregnancies. In the morning I would go into the kitchen and looking at the frig and knowing there was some type of smell in there (even if it was a good smell!), made me gag. Drinking some ginger ale always helped though. I am not a huge fan of ginger ale now!
Actually, I think Amy ended up as the Eventual Owner of that CD. And I think it was stolen from our car a couple of years ago. I vaguely remember having a conversation with her about how we ought to replace it (I thought it had been borrowed, not given), but then forgot about it until just now when I read your post. Glad to hear we could take it off your hands for you. I feel much less guilty now about having lost it and not replaced it.
Post a Comment