Friday, December 19, 2008

7 Quick Takes

1. Last night I had at least three ideas to include in a Quick Takes post, which is why I decided to do it this morning. This morning I've forgotten everything I was going to include last night. Just know that the items were interesting, thought-provoking, and amusing.

2. Stuart, looking over the Christmas presents underneath the tree: "If one of the presents isn't on the rug under the tree, then we can open those, right?"

3. We went "Christmas Riding" last night, driving around looking at lights. There seem to be more decorations this year than in past years. Our neighborhood alone looks very festive. Our own personal yard looks... well, we got SOMETHING up, anyway.

4. We love getting Christmas cards. We hang them up around the doorway between the living room and dining room. Checking the mail is the best thing during Christmas.

5. I was reading an article recently that encouraged neat households (this was in Keepers At Home). I agreed with the gist of the article: keeping the house neat is important to household harmony. What I did not agree with was how the author, in her zeal to find Biblical support for her idea (because all good ideas have specific Biblical support, you know), used verses like, "Let all things be done decently and in order." That verse refers to church services, not housework. And then there was "Her husband may safely trust in her," from Proverbs 31, which the author applied to mean that he can find what he needs because he knows she'll put it back where it goes. That one made me shriek out loud. I grew up with lots of Biblical "interpretation" like this, and I hate it. Darren hates it when I read articles like this.

6. My mom arrives tomorrow for a two-week visit. We are excited.

7. I got a book-on-CD from the library for the kids. It's a two-disk collection of an Encyclopedia Brown book. Addie listened to it about six times yesterday, and I hung around every now and then to catch the stories. I never get tired of them. You did grow up reading Encyclopedia Brown, right? If not, then it's pretty much your duty as a parent to introduce them to your children. Encyclopedia solves crimes by listening and questioning, something all children need to know because as the Bible says, "The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forward and questions him."

More at Conversion Diary.
-- SJ

7 comments:

Kelly Sauer said...

5) Actually "all things" could definitely encompass house-cleaning. Not that I go for the proof-texting thing. Yeesh. Sometimes, it just works if we accept our humanity and don't try to prove our spirituality in doing things that even non-Christians need to do. Like cleaning house. Like we have to be a Christian before we can be a keeper at home. Wonder if she meant to say that? *eeewww*

Booker said...

1: Isn't that just the way? That happens to me all the time. So I just don't blog much :-)

7: E. Brown is a FRAUD! It always annoyed me that the clues the reader actually needed [in over half the stories] were never presented. But, I do agree, it does make one think, and in this generation, that is a good thing...

the Joneses said...

I hotly defend E. Brown. The later books aren't much, but the first ones are great. The clues are always there. You usually can tell WHERE in the story they are, if you can catch the obscure slip that the criminal makes. Besides, how can you NOT like books that describe something as "flat as a 15-cent sandwich"?

I (heart) Encyclopedia Brown!!

(Agatha Christie is the fraud. She never gave the reader the same advantage she gave her detective.)

-- SJ

the Joneses said...

Kelly - I still refuse to apply that verse to Whatever I'm Thinking Of. Paul wasn't talking about housecleaning, so I should I force him to?

The author wasn't saying that you have to be Christian to be a Keeper At Home (although she'd probably go as far as saying that IF you are a Christian wife you should be a keeper at home). Yanking the verses out of context is the classic way of proving that you aren't coming up with this advice all on your own -- nope, see! God says so! (P.S. See how spiritual I am and how my life is based on Scripture?)

Proof-texting so confused my understanding of the Bible that I still don't like reading it.

-- SJ

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Encyclopedia Brown!

Sherry said...

Yea for Encyclopedia Brown!

Boo hisss for proof-texting, which I think I did to my son last night when I was trying to persuade him that smoking was bad for his health. Bad me!

D said...

I love Encyclopedia Brown!!! I can't believe I'd forgotten about those books. :-)
That article.... yeah, I hate when people do that too. I'm glad I don't know her.