Sara being uninspired, it falls to Darren (who has not blogged in far too long) to do the 7 Quick Takes today.
1. One of my favorite takes on evangelism is found in cartoon form here. I think perhaps Professor Greg Smith could give Theo a run for his money :)
2. When I was out in Arizona doing depositions in early September, it was blazing hot. Our client told me, “Everyone endures summer in Arizona because of the other 8 months.” Having just gotten back from another trip out there, where I walked around in short sleeves outside on December 3, I am seriously contemplating the benefits of moving to Phoenix. (Just kidding, Sara!)
3. “It is never wise to make assumptions. Assumptions cause cracks in the fragile stucco of reality, and then goblins get in.” Robin McKinley, author of one of my “comfort books,” The Blue Sword.
4. If someone ever asks you to be treasurer of a political action committee (PAC), refuse unless you can extort a substantial amount of money. It’s more stress than it’s worth. Stupid campaign finance laws…
5. I read “A Princess of Mars” by Edgar Rice Burroughs on my recent trip and enjoyed it very much. In fact, the last line made me cry. It’s not nearly so badly over-written as his Tarzan books, and his hero John Carter is a pretty cool guy, handy with both a sword and a hovercar.
6. I’m currently listening to “Passion: Hymns Ancient and Modern” on my computer. I like it, but “How Great You Are” just can’t match up to “How Great Thou Art.” (Especially when pronounced “How grate chew are.”
7. Don’t forget to have your kids leave their shoes outside their door tomorrow night. It’s St. Nicholas Day!
--DJ
Friday, December 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Leave it to Darren to find one of the oddest cartoons ever written. I passed it on to a select few who would appreciate it.
My latest comfort books are Jimmy Buffett books. They are horribly written, schmaltzy, repetitive, and he quotes his own songs in them, but I am hooked. It's like each one is a bizarro version of "Islands in the Stream," minus Hemmingway's talent and depressed outlook on life.
Don't judge me---I already feel badly enough as it is.
The professor reports that he laughed uproariously! 8-)
Post a Comment