Sunday, December 07, 2008

Christmas in the Pantry

Darren went grocery shopping yesterday, using the list I'd made up. We're proud of our grocery list: we typed out everything we usually buy, organized it by aisle, and when we need to make a list we print out the master list and mark the items we need. Something that organized HAS to save money. You can just hear the pennies tinkling as you print out the list.

I did check the pantry to see what we needed. But I'm short and the pantry was a little messy, so I just guessed at some things. Turns out, I do that a lot.

Because Darren got home (I was napping, my top pregnancy hobby) and got industrious. He cleaned out the pantry. When I say it was "a little messy," I'm actually lying. The pantry was a wreck. It hasn't been organized for, oh, how long have we lived in this house? Five years? He cleared out and organized most of two shelves of cans and boxes. When I got up, I finished putting things away. That's when we discovered exactly how much "guessing" I've been doing.

We have:
* Six boxes of spaghetti (counting the two Darren bought)
* Five bags of goldfish
* Four boxes of brown sugar
* Three boxes of cornstarch
* And the partridge could have been buried underneath four opened bags of dried beans.

-- SJ

6 comments:

Debra-Dawn said...

heeheehee...

my husband and I had a conversation recently while grocery shopping about sugar...

he said we needed to buy some...

and plunked a fair trade sugar in the cart...

I took it out... and explained we have lots of sugar...

he wanted to argue?

:)

I am the one that does ALLLLLLLL the baking... and have recently baked two birthday cakes and pancakes...

and HE wanted to tell ME that we needed sugar?

well, i let him buy his bag of sugar to prove my point, and when we got home... i showed him allllllllllll the other sugar we had...

he smiled and said "now we have more"...

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

:)

Dana said...

That's great... I used to blame the mess in the pantry on the fact that it was too deep for me to see the back of the upper shelves without a stool, and too dark even with one. But now I have a new pantry with lots of visibility so excuses of that sort are over. Also I had acquired two or three of everything because Jena brought me all the contents of her pantry that she couldn't use up before moving back to Oregon so I am being very conscious about Using What I Have.

Rose said...

What's wrong with six boxes of spaghetti? I like to keep at least that as a minimum at all times. If you can use up one box for a meal (which we almost can), that gives you a cushion of only six spaghetti meals before you run out. I do hate coming up short at mealtimes. (Of course, this comes from someone who once had over 100 lbs. of butter in her freezer.)

the Joneses said...

Debra-Dawn - Ha, at least you actually know how much sugar you have (and now a little more. :) ).

Dana - So are we yet Proverbs 31 wives who Run The Household Efficiently?

Rose -- It's not so much the quantity as it is that we weren't using up one before buying another.

And your butter inspired me. I didn't get any 100 pounds of it, but I did stock up when it was a great price, and we've been living off it for probably two months.

-- SJ

D said...

That's awesome he did that for you. And even better you have a stockpile!
LOL about the partridge!!!

Kelly Sauer said...

Hee hee!