Saturday, August 02, 2008

Mundania 18

* We just got back from Orlando, Florida, for our communion-wide church convocation that's held every four years. Not always in Florida, mind you. Next convocation will be in Madrid, Spain. Glad we caught this one. There was something for everyone on this trip: Darren enjoyed the services, I got to see my good friend Jenna, Addie and Stuart got to see lizards, and Daphne enjoyed nightly stroller rides as her parents desperately tried to get her to go to sleep.

* Names that I encountered this week: Agata, Brayan, and China Doll (it was on her nametag, no kidding).

* Last week we all got sick. But not all at once, no! We spread out the fun, so that I got the yucky stomach on Thursday, the girls got it on Friday night, Darren got it on Saturday, Stuart on Sunday, and then just for fun, I got it again on Monday! Only I didn't mind as much Monday because Darren took that day off so I was able to lie in bed and Be Sick without having to Be Mama at the same time.

* Darren has been hoarse for -- well, how long ago was his surgery? Seven weeks? His voice has improved a tiny bit every day, but still very little actual voice tone and no volume at all. Friday morning, all of a sudden, it clicked back in. It's so nice to hear his voice again. Even better, he can sing again.

* Speaking of singing, Daphne is quite the little songbird. She used to ask us to sing to her, but now she just announces that she will do the honors, thank you kindly and shut up: "No, Mama! No sing! Daffy sing Hadafarm! [Old McDonald]."

* Addie, when Darren and I got back from a date to Harper's Ferry, which we insisted on keeping even though he was recovering from the Yucky and I was coming down with it again: "Daddy! I'm sorry to say that your girlfriend..." Pause. That wasn't the right term. "...that your date mate is sick."

* Stuart is asking deep theological questions these days. "Are there computers in Heaven?"

-- SJ

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, how was your time with Jenna?

the Joneses said...

We had a very good visit, while six kids of our own making roiled around us. We've come a long way from the five-girl townhouse!

I used a good portion of the visit to plug blogging and Facebook. (For the record, I still am not so wild about Facebook, but it's a quick way to stay updated.) You should email her and say, "Hey, Jenna! Just a random thought -- have you ever considered getting on Facebook?" :)

-- SJ

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, maybe I will! As a new Facebook convert, I've enjoyed getting in touch with some folks I haven't talked to in ages! Mostly old college friends.

Rachelle said...

Oooh, Madrid. Suddenly I want to go to the next convocation.

Hmm....Meanwhile perhaps Stuart can make a study of whether or not there is any theological basis for having computers in heaven. Though I'm thorougly convinced that Americans think they get to decide who and what gets to go to heaven.

Jmaestro said...

Yes, there are computers in heaven. Otherwise, how would the angels play Titan Quest?