I don't often link to other blogs, mainly because I'm lazy. This morning, I want to write a new post, but I'm uncreative. Uncreativity trumps laziness: here are a few blog posts that interested me this morning.
J posts about Online Forum Personalities. I was part of one particular online discussion (it's left me far behind, still ongoing after a year and hundreds of posts) that was populated by the first character. None of whom could ever understand why dissenting newcomers complained of being boarded, keelhauled, and sunk after about ten posts.
Claire claims I inspired her post, but actually she was just channelling me when she wrote it.
On the other hand, I don't want to say that everyone should live the low-key, homebody life we do. Barbara is one of those amazing women whose children are busy, the family is happy, and she refinishes the basement floor all by herself.
I wish Queen of Carrots would rent out her sister.
And celebrity wannabes beware: YOU might like that bizarre name, but YOU'RE not the one who has to live with it.
-- SJ
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is a slightly tangential comment, but it's allowed because you mentioned baby names. ;) As you are the best authority on baby naming I know, I am wondering what you think of this (for a girl, obviously):
Shenandoah Grace.
I personally love it, as it's both pretty and meaningful (a nod to my Virginia roots), but Dan will have none of it, even though we would probably call her "Grace" and not "Shenandoah." Do you think my daughter would hate me?
Angel - Oh, darn, okay I guess I'll talk about names. Shenandoah Grace, hmm. My first reaction is that while it looks cool in theory, and would make a kicker of a heroine name in a novel, it would be hard to live with in real life. It's long, hard to figure out if you haven't lived in Virginia, and there's no snappy nickname.
If you made it an unused first name, that would take care of most of the problems above. It has a pretty sound and evokes beautiful associations in those of us in the Blue Ridge. Still, it's an odd choice. You'd be taking a chance -- some kids really like having an unusual name, but as my favorite baby name book points out, most kids are happy to fit in with the crowd, not stand out.
Here's my periodic plug for aforesaid book: The Baby Name Wizard by Laura Wattenberg. Great book. And it lists Shenandoah as an option for a girl name, too.
And, um, I'm not done talking about names if somebody else wants to jump in. I mean, I've got time and all.
-- SJ
Wow, Sara! I'm honored that you think of me as amazing! What a huge compliment. I have to say that I've been more than impressed with all you do. I miss you, dear friend!
Post a Comment