Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Emptiness

Despite the title, this isn't as interesting a post as someone deep and reflective could make it. The emptiness I refer to is my mind. I can't think of anything new to post that doesn't involve kids. Even the last thing I read was "Family Fun" magazine.

We get vegetables from a farm every week, and I still can't figure out what to do with the squash. I'm all for cooking and eating it, except I'd have to taste it that way.

The other day, I hadn't had enough sleep, so my personality was lacking in, um, bearableness. About halfway through the afternoon, I realized, Wow, I'm being so nice and handling things so well! I couldn't manage to fall asleep for nap, but I was lying in bed coming up with all kinds of creative ideas for my history class next month. And then I remembered that I'd ordered a blended iced coffee that morning and forgotten to specify "decaf." The magic was caffeine. I am herewith stocking up on caffeine for an upcoming ordeal, when Darren will be gone for five days.

My normal breakfast these days is chocolate graham crackers and milk. I'm going to go get some.

-- SJ

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate squash, too. I have a good recipe for pumpkin muffins---I wonder if you could use squash instead? I don't taste the pumpkin.

"Lacking in bearableness"--ha ha ha! Caffeine is an inexpensive personality enhancer: I rely on it fairly often. And if I'm up late, unable to sleep, I go ahead and get the coffee pot all set up so all I have to do the next morning is flick a switch to brew my sunny disposition.

the Joneses said...

Brewing your sunny disposition is brilliant.

Do you mind sending me the pumpkin muffin recipe? I tell you, I'm overabundantly blessed with squash that I'm too squeamish to use. (Do I get extra points for using two squ- words in one sentence?)

-- SJ

Heather said...

Use squash to make mock apple pie, add it to your lasagna or spaghetti sauce (put it in the blender, add it to cake or muffins--around here you learn TONS of ways to hide it since EVERYONE has zukes.

Anonymous said...

How do you cook your squash? Have you tried steaming it with onions? Then add butter, salt and pepper. Of course, if you don't like onions, this method will not be tasty, but I like the flavor that the onions add a lot.

Another way I like to use zucchini squash is to cook it, and chop it up into my spaghetti sauce and use it to top pasta with some parm cheese sprinkled on top. You barely even taste that.

Kelly Sauer said...

You can also bake zucchini squash. Cut it into rounds that are 1 inch thick. Put it in a baking pan, dump some sauce and Italian spices over it, shred some mozzarella cheese on top, and bake it. I suspect you could also add some cooked Italian sausage to the mix.

the Joneses said...

No, no, this is Yellow Summer Squash, not zucchini. You can taste summer squash. It tastes like... ugh... sort of... yuck.. I hate Yellow Summer Squash.

I am going to try frying it in batter. That's great because you taste only the batter, which is gooood.

-- SJ

the Joneses said...

Oh, Heather, could you email me the recipe for mock apple pie?

Kelly -- Hm, if I do like one round of squash to, say, a cup of cheese and an entire sausage... hey, I could eat that!

-- SJ

Barbara said...

I was just going to say that you should fry it. My mom used to fry all kinds of squash...mmmmm. Yummy!

ljm said...

I envy your weekly farm bounty...I've got to try to get to the local Farmer's Market more.
Also, my sympathies on the upcoming absence. Definitely a good time for caffeine!

Dana said...

I don't have any suggestions in which you can't taste the squash... but I sympathize because I had the same problem with the beets in my farmer's box. Now we're getting scads of cucumbers. 5 of them last week for 2 people. (and something like 20 peaches but that's nothing to complain about. I suffer, eating 2 every day.)

Amy K said...

I just saw a fabulous-looking recipe for chocolate zucchini cake, and I'm not usually into putting vegetables in my desserts! I'll have to post the link on the Martha site. It did look really good. There's also a recipe on AllRecipes for zucchini parmesan, which would have lots of cheese and marinara, so it wouldn't taste so vegetable-y. :) Just some ideas. Not sure what kind of squash you have but these zucchini recipes are probably flexible to handle other kinds of squash, too. Hope you can figure something to do with it! :)