Friday, January 02, 2009

Maintaining the Balance

Darren and I went in for my ultrasound this morning. Although I still can't tell much about ultrasound pictures (despite their being much clearer than even seven years ago when we had Addie's), we did see Baby wiggling and kicking. Also, I am vindicated: I knew I wasn't as far along as the OB thought I was, and now my due date has been adjusted. It was the ultrasound, not me, who convinced them. But still.

Most importantly, the ultrasound revealed whether the baby is a he or a she. The answer is... A Boy.

We'll have the perfectly balanced family! Harmony will reign! Positive energy will flow through our lives! (Yes, Lindsay, I realize that in our zeal for personal balace, we are neglecting the bigger picture. Evan and Jill's family is boy, girl, boy, boy. We SHOULD be producing girl, boy, girl, girl. Sorry.)

Now to figure out how to answer intrusive questions about our family planning, since strangers will assume that we wouldn't want to disrupt our family's delicate balance, and then will want us to confirm their assumptions even though it's absolutely none of their blasted business, not that I feel strongly on the subject of intrusive questions about family planning.

The official due date is June 16. But since this will be a scheduled c-section, the baby will be born closer to June 8.

-- SJ

10 comments:

J said...

As far as the various family planning comments go, my favorite that I've heard went like this:

Man with One Child to Mother with Upcoming Fourth:
"Haven't you figured out what causes that yet?"

Reply of Exasperated Mother:
"Obviously I know what causes it. You're the one who apparently stumbled upon it once and haven't figured it out again yet!"

Queen of Carrots said...

Yay for balance! I love having a family with even numbers of each (and alternating, too).

But yes, it does seem to invite total strangers to decree that you must have completed your life goals.

I think in the future I'm just going to say, "No, next time we want to try for a hamster."

Anonymous said...

Oh, how very satisfying that if this baby were a girl, things would still be balanced with E&J's family. But boy is still better.

When I went out with my boy-girl twins, strangers would say, "One of each, so you're all done now right?" They didn't realize that I had two older boys at home---and that I was pregnant with another.

Sarah M. said...

LOL, such witty comments. Cracks me up.

Congratulations on the balance of a boy. We look forward to hearing his name - it'll be just as classic and perfect as his siblings. :)

Doing my best said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting! Now the baby name planning can begin in earnest!

Barbara said...

That's great, Sara!!! Just make sure you do come up with a girl name...they told my sister she was having a boy and she had a girl. Much to the dismay of my brother-in-law, who was looking forward to having a Clayton and not an Emma. :)

Anonymous said...

Woo-Hoo!!! The balance is nice, but totally cool that Stewart will be able to say that he has a brother!!! I honestly think that the best thing about it is that Mollie no longer has to worry about sleeping arrangements! So kind of you to conviently calm her worries!!!
Also thank you for arranging to have a beautiful new baby at the beginning of June. Now when school is out, I can spend the entire summer seeing him grow up!!

Congrats to you all!!

D said...

Oy, I know what you mean. The minute you're married everyone wants to know when you're going to have kids. As soon as the first kid has exited the womb, you'll inevitably be asked about the next. Then of course you'll have to manage all the stares and comments about "having your hands full". I only had 2 and they were 3 years apart, and I wanted to punch the next idiot that said that to me.
I have in interesting idea. Make up some business cards/index cards. 2 different sets.
Set One: "Didn't you know it's rude to inquire about one's family planning? I guess not since you were given this card."
Set Two: "I'd rather have my "hands full" with blessings and making a difference in this world than spending my time occupying myself with other people's business....."

No charge for the smart comments.
;-)

Oh, Queen of Carrots... I love your line about the hamster!!!

Kelly Sauer said...

Yay!

Amy K said...

Yay!! See ... I'm slowly but surely keeping up? Working my way up from the bottom of the posts. :)

This will narrow down the name choices by half! Nice!