I'm curious. Also, I need to make out a grocery list and I don't want to. Also, I want to put some polls on the blog.
Here are the questions: Oh, look! They're about names! Not even names we're considering. I figure, you might be bored or procrastinating, too, so you want to talk about names too, right?
So here are the questions:
1. As a middle name, is Raphael (traditionally the third archangel, although not named in the Bible) a cool name or a weird name?
2. Hazel, Cora, and Pearl are funky cool, or musty old?
Vote on the polls to the left, and leave a comment further discussing your vote if you like.
-- SJ
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
Hazel: musty old
Cora: pretty
Pearl:Funky cool
Raphael: I think of pizza eating ninja turtles, thanks to Josh and Jairus B.
Okay, Raphael...weird...
I almost named my Olivia, Hazel...wish I did now...there are so many Olivias out there! I have always liked old-fashioned names like Hazel, Jane, Elizabeth, etc. ( Pearl reminds me of a drum set, and Cora is forevermore going to be reminicsent of Bill and Cherilyn's dog!)
I love all three girls names--but then we named our middle child Esther.
Hazel: I like it, but I am frequently mocked for liking it.
Cora: Very pretty, but it sounded like the name of a wasp (as in the insect) to me when I was little.
Pearl: I think this one is mustyish but due for a revival. Unfortunately, it reminds me of Hester's child from the Scarlet Letter.
I like Cora and Pearl; not so wild about Hazel.
Raphael is cool if you're of spanish or latin descent. Otherwise, I don't think it works.
Hazel: Can't decide . . .
Cora: Very pretty
Pearl: Musty to me, as my grandmother's best friend was named Pearl.
The polls don't cover it. I can't get past the fact that Raphael was one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that were showing on Saturday morning TV when I was a kid. There was a Michaelangelo too - don't ask me why I remember it; I couldn't tell you!
I like Cora a lot, and I would agree with MS. Rose's "pretty" assessment. Very gentle, too, I would say. I don't like Hazel. Too brown. (Yes, I think of names in colors.) Pearl is just plain funky, not so much cool there for me. I'm not into gemstone names for people, though.
So there is my opinion on your presented names.
And don't forget Donatello, Leonardo and Michaelangelo! Sensei Splinter, April, the Shredder, and of course Bebop and Rocksteady! Cowabunga!!
"Heroes on the half-shell, turtle power!"
Oh, am I showing my apparently-not-recovered TMNT fandom?
Raphael - very cool, but I wouldn't use it as a first name unless I were of Hispanic origin. Middle name would work, I think.
Hazel - old and rare, so it must now be trendy, right?
Cora - very pretty.
Pearl - old.
Raphael is cool (and is found in the Bible, in Tobit).
Hazel: musty old
Cora: great name
Pearl: not sure on this one, I'm not liking it all that well
Raphael: As a middle name, I'm ok with it. I wouldn't use it as a first name due to the TMNT association.
Hazel: musty old
Cora: I like it!
Pearl: old, but ready for use. (She was the sweet old lady at church that always had Altoid mints for the kids! At least in my experience.)
Wow, I hadn't even remembered the Raphael Turtle association. Not that I'm thanking y'all for reminding me.
Ranee - Tobit is part of the Bible depending on which canon you acknowledge. It's not that I grew up rejecting the Apocrypha -- it's simply that I had no idea it existed until I was about 25.
Cora seems to have reached the "old enough to be pretty" stage, judging from your opinions. Hazel and Pearl seem to have a split vote.
I actually voted "cool" on Raphael ("cool but not sure I'd actually like to use it on a real child of mine"); and "musty old" on the three names. They're just not old enough for me yet.
I love this! If you haven't voted yet, do so. And rest assured that there will be future polls at this site.
-- SJ
Raphael is decent as a middle name, so long as you don't care that it will forever bring up glimmers of the Ninja Turtles.
Hazel is musty old. Not only that, but I can never see it in print without mentally adding "-Rah" at the end.
Cora is a good name.
Pearl falls into the class of all the other gem names: They're wonderful names, but generally unworkable for non-Orientals.
Raphael: I think it makes a cool middle name, but wouldn't use it as a first name.
Hazel: I like it for someone else's baby. Funky/cool/ugly-chic.
Cora: I love it and would use it myself. Pretty/antique.
Pearl: I like the look of it but not the sound of it. I might use it as a middle name if I had a reason (ancestor or some other meaning to it), but otherwise would like it for someone else's baby.
Sara, I think if you want to name your kid Billy Bob Thornton you have the authority as a parent to do it. Personally, I love "old" names, especially classic ones given to the appropriate genders (girl names for girls, etc.). It is fun reading everyone's opinion. (:
Amy, love your comment. :) Billy B.T. Jones. Has that sort of (clanging) ring to it don't it? :)
More polls, more polls! This if fun. Maybe you an do a poll on who wants more polls? :)
Amy - That philosophy sounds good in theory, but what some parents forget is that THEY aren't the ones who have to live with the name. So, yes, I could name my kids whatever I want to, but I don't think Billy Bob Thornton Jones would thank me any later in life!
But a discussion like this isn't to decide if a name is "usable" or not. Names go in and out of fashion, and most of us are right smack in the middle of the trend without knowing it. Twenty years ago, Cora and Pearl on a baby would have been unthinkable. Now, they're cool. That's why I love names.
-- SJ
Guess I'm weird because I like Hazel or Pearl.... not really Cora.
Eh, on the Raphael.
Angel names are cool though... ;-)
Raphael- Don't like it. At all.
Hazel,Cora, and Pearl- Pretty, Pretty, Pretty! I like these!
Post a Comment