Friday, January 16, 2009

What's In a Name?

Darren's been home sick with a cold, and although it wasn't quite a mancold it did mean I didn't stick to my routine so we've all ended the day tired. So as a bit of a refreshment, I'm going to talk about names. Aah. I feel better already.

Some for the "It Sounds Nice... Whatever It Is" category:

* Taiden
* Timory

To add to the "Why Children Don't Name Their Siblings" category:

* My niece, Camie, said that while her sister might want to name their new baby Jonah, and her mama might want to use Joseph, Camie herself wants to name the baby "John the First Baptist." (Perhaps not coincidentally, the family has just joined the First Baptist Church.)

In our household, names no longer up for serious consideration, assuming that the little grey blob on the ultrasound really *is* what the technician said it is:

* Charity
* Phoebe
* Cordelia

An M-middle name that is half tribute to my heritage, half a joke. I'm glad I don't actually have to decide between the benefits and snickers:

* Eve Magnolia

-- SJ

9 comments:

C said...

My parents will tell that I went through a phase where when asked my name, I would respond, "John." Of course, that would leave the unsuspecting stranger trying to call me Joan or Joanne or some such. But I would insist that I was "John the Baptist." Perhaps not coincidentally, my favorite Bible story book at the time was on John the Baptist. Or maybe it was just a lot easier to say than my real name. :)

Amy Jordon said...

I always thought Phoebe was a cruel thing to name you kid. Of course, I always read it as pho-ebe and that doesn't sound like something you want to give birth to.(:

Mississippi Rose said...

Matt and I have watched and rewatched the mancold video today (probably 8 or more times) and laughed everytime. It is so great! If you're having trouble coming up with "M" names, allow me...
Morty, McLeod, Mashedturnip, Minnesota...
What I lack in quality I can make up for in quantity. Shall I come up with more?

Anonymous said...

Have you seen this?

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/01/08/2009-01-08_lisa_bonet_names_new_baby_nakoawolf_mana.html

Anonymous said...

Opps, I thought you would be able to click on the above site address!

If you haven't seen this baby name just enter 'Lisa Bonet's baby name' into search and you will find it. Poor child, and may I ask WHY?!!

Anonymous said...

Magnolia....hmmmm....I can't decide whether to like it or not! I like the sound of it. My other argument is that people name their kids Rose, Violet, Lily, etc, all the time. Why not Magnolia? But I still can't make myself accept it as a real name... Now it will just annoy me.

the Joneses said...

C - It's real nice that you outgrew that phase. Think how the wedding invitations would have looked! "Jesse and John the Baptist..."

Amy - Well, we could spell it Feebee, which gives the right pronunciation. That's crueler, if you ask me.

Rose - Nope, no need. Once I got to Mashedturnip, I knew that my search was over.

Nina - Good heavens. Try saying that kid's name out loud. They didn't do the "shout out the door into the neighbhorhood" test, did they?

Kate - Lily, Violet, Rose, Magnolia... I know, why does Magnolia sound like a joke? But it's kind of cute too, right?

Anonymous said...

"Could you please call me Cordelia?"--Ann(with an E)

Anonymous said...

Oh it's very cute! I would consider using it. I doubt it would sound as funny if you had a pretty little girl's face to go with it. Same with Daphne.I thought it was so odd until I met Miss. Daphne Jones. Fits her perfectly and she makes it very beautiful. =)