So here's the situation: a friend's children have the chicken pox. She's invited any of us who want to expose our children to come over and partake of the germs.
The dilemma:
On the one hand, I do want them to get it while they're young, and the vaccine is unnecessary if they do catch it.
On the other hand, doesn't it seem like a cruel thing for a mother to do, arranging a playdate for the single purpose of getting your kids sick?
-- SJ
Tuesday, January 06, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
Oh me! I would so totally do it myself, and yes it's horrible.
My only concern would be because you're pregnant. Talk with your OB first.
As someone who never did catch chicken pox as a kid, and then eventually caught it once I was in my twenties and holding down a fulltime job (and the pox finally caught up with me at one of the busiest times of the year when I could ill afford staying home from the office, but had to so as not to spread my woes to other), I say make the playdate and arrange for your kids to catch it ASAP! Assuming, of course, that you’ve been-there-done-that and there’s no way for Baby to be harmed.
For the record, my parents did try to get Rose and me to catch the chicken pox on numerous occasions as we grew up. It took a month of living with the pox being slowly passed among our brothers for us to finally succumb. So better luck for your kids! =)
~ Leah
Nah, it's not cruel. Just ask your kids: a playdate is more fun than a shot any day. ;)
lol.. love Angel's comment. So true though!
Yeah, check with your OB first. Also, bear in mind that they rarely get it all at once. In my experience, there were three of us, and we got it one after the other, so we had it at our house for almost a full month - ick.
I would say to go for it. Although I skipped an opportunity to do so when I was pregnant last year; I just couldn't take the extra hassle of sick kids. Now I don't know when I'll have another opportunity. I had it as a teen, though, and I so wish I could have had it earlier.
If you've already had the chickenpox, there should be no danger to the baby. Otherwise it can be a problem.
I have had the chicken pox, a pretty nifty case as a baby; as far as I know, I'm immune now. I'll call my OB just to make sure.
And, yes, there's the whole "sick for a month" thing. Ugh.
-- SJ
I would do it in a moment---in fact we are looking for someone with them so our kids can get exposed--too bad you all are so far away.
If you are immune, then go for it. Our oldest has had the vaccine (before we knew better), so theoretically, it's not a problem for him, but he will be 11 this year and the next in line will be 9. I keep hoping for someone to get it so we can expose them all, though I would rather that Yasmina were a little older than a year when it happens. I just want them to get it before they are teenagers, when it can be so much worse.
I keep hoping someone around us will get it so I can take all of my kids over to play!
Yeah, I would say go for it too except I understand your hesitation. I really wanted to do it that way but never had the chance and finally gave in to the pressure and got Ethan the shot before Kindergarten. He ended up breaking out with a mild version of it anyway from the shot itself...nice.
I have heard that we are never completely immune against the chicken pox...even if you've had it as a kid, you can get a less intense version as an adult called shingles. And it is just as detremental to the baby...be careful! And I agree with those here who said to contact your OB...very good advice!!
It is hard to ever intentionally let your kids be sick. I think it will take incredible discipline if I ever get the opportunity.
I was exposed at least twice as a child and then managed to get it at 28. I prayed to God to just let me die and my roommate at the time still shudders when she remembers how many trips she took to the store for me only to come home and have me think of something else that might relieve my suffering.
But Leah...if the kids have it now and are spared it later will they know to be grateful?
As a completely random guest at your blog (clicking the "next blog" button), I have to say, I'd much rather have been exposed as a kid; the pox vaccine wears off and I've received boosters twice since my original shot in high school. Since I'm now in my 30's, the dr. has determined that it's still better that I don't have the illness. If I have to get another booster, though, it'd take some pretty awesome wild horses to drag me away from infecting myself to just get the darn thing over with...
And in an ironic twist--apparently the ducklings' uncles have just been exposed. Looks like we're going for it here, too. I've already maxed out my library reserve limit . . .
I might be too late in leaving this comment....but I really would suggest reconsidering getting the vaccine. The purpose of the vaccine is not to prevent chicken pox, but to avoid getting shingles as an adult. A person who has received the vaccine is much less likely to get shingles as an adult, which can be absolutely horrible to deal with. Yeah, chicken pox might not seem too terrible, especially if they get over it at a young age, but shingles can be incredibly painful and nothing I want my kids to experience.
Needless to say, we went ahead with the shots, not to prevent chicken pox, but to prevent shingles.
Also, if I understand correctly, you don't actually get shingles from someone who has the chicken pox, and shingles are by no means a less intense version of the chicken pox. They actually can be much worse.
Shingles occur when the chicken pox virus has laid dormant in your system. It's a reactivation of the virus due to stress or other factor. To ever get shingles, you have to have first had the chicken pox.
Post a Comment