Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What's in a Name?

It's been a while, and you've probably sunk into a slough of complacency, so here are a few names to stir up your world.

Some sibling groups, to begin with:

* Colter, Kestral, and Cedar.
* Brandy, Candy, Landy, Mandy, Sandy, Tandy, Randy, Zandy
(Seriously, this is real, as far as my friend Melissa can recall the names. All girls, by the way.)
* Bergen, London, and Mosely
(All girls... who in the heck thought that "Mosely" was a pretty name for a girl?)

And some one-hit wonders, all euphonious syllables and no actual meaning:

* Taber
* Kielyn
* Brecklyn
* Paxtynn

And the TMI Department:

* August Skye -- Now, the thing about August Skye is that the girl (GIRL?!) was born in May. If you count back, that means she was *conceived* in August. Wouldn't you like to carry that reminder around with you everywhere? "Why did your parents name you August?" "Because that's when I was... that's when they, you know... Look, I go by Skye, okay?"

-- SJ

7 comments:

joannmski said...

I had a friend who was named Stephanie or something, but she went by Choo Choo. Because her parents conceived her on a Choo Choo, and they called her that from childhood.

ICK!!

Queen of Carrots said...

Don't you always wonder, when you hear kids called by city names . . .

Heather said...

There is a family that lives nearby who has named their six kids with -eagen endings. Teagen, Reagen, Eagen, Meagen and so on and so forth.

Zana said...

Hmm. I was almost named after my grandmothers. One was named "Burvil Mahala" and the other is "Frances Arnamenta"

I don't think I could've lived with being called "Burvil Frances". The story my mom tells is that they suggested it to my grandmamas and they, bless their souls, said vehemently: "Don't. You. Dare." So I got a good southern name... Susanna Lee. (Yes, I am from Alabama but I don't play the banjo!)

the Joneses said...

Choo Choo is not nice at all.

Oooh, Burvil. You owe a lasting debt of gratitude to your grandmothers for nixing the idea of a namesake. Not sure why your parents thought it was even a viable option, good heavens. Susanna Lee is a lovely instead-of!

-- SJ

Sarah M. said...

I don't know if I'd go by Skye either... I mean... it could have been under the August Sky.... Yeah, um.. like you said TMI!

What parent names their children rhyming names? I mean it's only cute in Make Way For Ducklings.

Kelly Sauer said...

Bergen, London, and Mosely. Hmm. It sounds like somebody really wanted their own law office. Or accounting firm.