Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Update -- Darren's Surgery

The three-hour surgery went well. I made it to the hospital just as he was being admitted into a room. He was groggy from medication and hoarse from a sore throat (the procedure took care of a pinched nerve in his neck via an incision in his throat), but able to walk around a little. His arm no longer hurts when he lifts it, which is a relief.

And then begins the recovery. From the sound of it, it won't be as arduous as we'd feared. And Darren's not a bad convalescent. I mean, sure, he gets this martyr complex. Like, post-Colosseum martyr. Or that's what he's like when he gets a cold, anyway; I'm not sure about major surgery.

(He's too nice to remind me that he at least suffers in silence, which is not something I've ever been accused of.)

Meanwhile, Nina and Dana kept our three all afternoon, with rousing success. Gold star stickers in Heaven for them! Addie even waited till I got home to spend an hour crying over various traumas that translated into, "I want Daddy!"

He comes home tomorrow. Lindsay comes in Thursday night. I think we'll make it.

-- SJ

6 comments:

Rachelle said...

Get well soon D! For everyone's sake. And that description of your surgery....I can visualize Lindsay rocking back and forth and saying "I'm not hearing this."-rlr

Queen of Carrots said...

Glad to hear the surgery went well. Now just teach A&S to be good convalescent nurses and you'll have it made.

Angel said...

So glad to hear things went well! Wishes for a speedy recovery to Darren and wishes for sanity and patience to you and the kiddos while he heals. :)

-Angel

Angel said...

By the way Sara, the whole time I was reading that, uh, "affronting blog" yesterday I kept thinking of your Gina Hackett posts. ;) Those were priceless.

Amy K said...

I'm glad to hear it went well. That's great the pain is gone in his arm.

Anonymous said...

Darren...glad the surgery went good...praying for you buddys.com