I got a workbook for the kids on writing poetry, so decided to give it a shot yesterday. We started with couplets (rhyming two lines). Addie was so inspired, she stapled two pages together and laboriously titled it, "Fifty Poems for the Bedtime Hour" (a plagiarized title). While I was brainstorming "bedtime" words, she was working on the Table of Contents. At least she has ambition, if not a natural knack for meter. Her first poem, where she rhymed my starting line, is:
"It's time to go to bed,
So brush your teeth and wait till morning to be fed."
Today was cinquains, a structured poem with one word, two words, three words four words, one word. I offered suggestions, but let Addie do the thinking. Her best was:
Rain
Cats, dogs
Can't smell it
Pattering on my roof
Hard
Stuart refused to be drawn in. His sole contribution was:
"Lightning
is frightening."
-- SJ
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
We need name of poetry workbook! This sounds like something that would be fun to do with the kids this summer. (Socialite entry still buzzing in my head, so I felt like adding something along the lines of "between [this activity] and [that activity]" but I don't have your talent for it!)
That is SO funny. My girls LOVE to write poetry but I haven't taught them much about meter and all that--of course it helps that their grandfather was a full fledged poet and it must run in the veins or something because hubby does a fair share as well.:)
Not being one for poetry, I rather enjoyed Stuart's simpicity! I can only imagine what my kids would come up with.
Here's the workbook:
http://veritaspress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=210900
This company (we ordered from the catalogue) has lots of great stuff. I got a boxfull!
-- SJ
Post a Comment