Saturday, June 07, 2008

Just a Short List

Not all our appliances went wrong this week. In fact, most of them worked just perfectly (minus the usual old-appliance quirks like the ice-maker that's broken and the front left burner that doesn't heat). The only ones that had to be replaced or repaired this week -- and it's a short list -- were:

  • Microwave: It was already on its way out, but the Start button stopped working earlier this week. I was fine just using the "Minute Plus" button, but apparently this is a quirk not unlike a stove with a burner that doesn't heat.

  • Vacuum cleaner: We already knew it needed to be replaced, on account of the fact that it was held together with masking tape.

  • Garbage disposal: The garbage disposal was easily diagnosed: it had a popsicle stick wedged in it. A non-working garbage disposal affects the dishwasher, so we had to stay vigilant to make sure that nasty dirty dishwater didn't fill up and spill over the kitchen sink. Not to say this has happened before.

  • Air conditioner: It ran merrily, just didn't actually cool anything. It is unfortunate that it didn't cool anything because after a day of raging tornados earlier this week, the weather jumped up into the 90s. I may be a complete loss from November to February, but my Southern upbringing knows how to deal with hot summer days. I turned off lights, kept blinds down, turned on ceiling fans, and didn't go outside unless absolutely necessary. That evening, we dressed the kids in cotton t-shirts for pajamas and we gave them all long cool baths before bed. The nights (two of them) were tolerable. Actually, for the first fifteen years of my life, I didn't live in air conditioning at all -- this was in South Mississippi, for all you Yankees who are saying, "Neither did I!" -- so an 85-degree house would have felt pretty nice. But when you're used to 78 degrees of processed air, 85 pushes the edge of hellish.

So we bought a new microwave, a new vacuum cleaner, got the disposal fixed, and finally got the AC man to come out this morning to tell us that we needed to wash off the coil on the outside fan (?), which he did, and the house is now full of pleasant processed air again. (Our mortgage company sent us an offer for insurance on appliance repairs, which we took them up on, which we haven't regretted. Our garbage disposals and air conditioners have delicate constitutions.)

Darren and I agreed that there should be a collective term, along the lines of "pride of lions" and "murder of crows" for household appliances that go wrong all at once. We prefer "a Murphy."

-- SJ

7 comments:

the Joneses said...

The other thing in the house that's currently not working well is the mouse. The left button only clicks about half the time. I think I'm going to throw it out the window pretty soon.

--DJ

the Joneses said...

But the mouse problem isn't because of any obsessive male Titan-Quest playing or anything.

-- SJ

Heather said...

We have SO BEEN THERE!!!! Oh my goodness--except it usually meant that I was washing laundry in the bathtub and hanging things out to dry and washing dishes by hand, and going without a vacuum cleaner until someone gave us a new one. :)

Anonymous said...

This week our refrigerator stopped working, and then our washing machine started leaking. It does seem to go in CLUSTERS, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

I think you've got it just right with "a Murphy". In fact, you should trademark it before someone beats you to it. ;)

Zana said...

What is it with appliances this week?!? Our AC is also having trouble (and in Alabama, we're having 95+ degree days with 90% humidity, getting down to a bone-chilling 85 in the evenings) and we may have to replace it. ACK. And the well pump has this unusual pressure fluctuation which is making me crazy. (Yes, we live in the country and have well water!)

So we are with you in your Murphy-ness!

Amy K said...

Good grief! When it rains it pours!

Hope you are enjoying your high-speed connections. I'm sure you are! :)