Jennifer at Conversion Diary, who hosts 7 Quick Takes, has some pretty funny ones today. Go see them!
1. Palm Sunday is coming. Our pastor describes it as a "schizophrenic service." We start off with a joyous parade waving palm branches, and then the rest of the service is focused on the crucifixion. Prayer would be appreciated, as I'm preaching. Fr. Tim asked me to, saying, "We really need a good, precise and short sermon and I know you can do this." Well, I can do the short, anyway :)
2. For Lent, I gave up fiction reading. I am really looking forward to Easter - I have a list of books all ready to go :) However, it has been good to read outside my standard fantasy/theology mix. I just finished a book about a fascinating man named Ibn Battuta. Ibn Battuta was a Muslim traveler during the 1300s who was born in northwest Africa. He went on hajj to Mecca in his early 20s and didn't come home for almost 30 years. He traveled across north Africa, Syria, Turkey, southern Russia, Arabia, Irag, India, and some into China, and then came home and wrote a book about it. The book about him was interesting, but now I want to find the original and hear from Ibn Battuta himself.
3. Peter Jackson is making "The Hobbit" into a movie. Well, two movies actually. This is good! The video he released yesterday is a great look into the beginning of filming. I can't wait!!
4. The Los Angeles City Council is hosting a public hearing on their daytime curfew next Monday, and I'm going out to testify against it and present the perspective of homeschoolers (two of home we're representing in a lawsuit due to their unlawful arrest under the curfew).
5. A haiku written as a text message from church Tuesday night, waiting to see if anyone would show up for Stations of the Cross:
Looking out at rain
Falling down on pear blossoms.
No one is coming.
6. Daphne likes cheese pizza with no pepperoni. Stuart likes lots of pepperoni. So yesterday for lunch, Sara got a pizza with half cheese and half pepperoni. She handed out the first slice to everyone, but then focused on Phillip. So when it came time for seconds, Daphne grabbed a pepperoni slice and began carefully removing every last vestige of meat.
Sara: Daphne, why don't you just take the cheese piece?! That's why I got it half and half.
Stuart, in a helpful whine: Yeah, Daphne, why did you do that?
Sara: Stuart, you're not one to talk. You're holding a cheese piece.
Stuart: Oh.
7. I have a hot date tonight. Hurray for babysitters! Hurray for friend-of-wife-since-6th-grade who sent money to make it possible!!
--DJ
Friday, April 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
If the case isn't classified info, can I hear about it?
--amj
Sure, I'll tell you about it tonight. I think you'll be interested.
Love you!
Oh, I didn't realize Hobbit was ready to move ahead! Great news. Thanks for sharing!
I went to the Ibn Battuta mall in Dubai a week or two ago. It was mostly just a massive mall with different sections decorated like the places he had traveled. It had a few little replicas of artifacts or navigation instruments he used, too. Kinda cool--my favorite mall of all the ones I went to there.
You've always been a master at "good, precise and short" whether sermons, notes or comments. My son??
Hurray for date nites. And your updates. And you.
You ranged far and wide.
I will be interested in hearing about the California Curfew.
I have a book you might like, or maybe you read some of it here. It is supposed to be a translation of a book written in the 1300s or so; a Jewish merchant made a several year voyage to China. The book is City of Light, Jacob D'Ancona (trans. David Selbourne)
Everyone needs friends like that longtime friend. (Think I can guess who).
The pizza story reminds me of a cartoon I saw when I was a kid. A dog and a cat are eating from separate bowls on the floor, and eying each other. The dog is eating from a bowl marked CAT, and vice versa.
Post a Comment