Friday, April 01, 2011

7 Quick Takes, April 1, 2011

If you're here, you probably know the drill with 7 Quick Takes. Hop on over to Conversion Diary for the full list!

1. There was a fascinating article on GetReligion this week about the precipitous drop in the number of nuns in America. One of the major reasons cited is the lack of support from parents, especially since most American families have so few children. The comments on the article are interesting, as they tease out some other aspects of the drop. Since Addie and Stuart regularly read this blog, this message is for them: Kids, if one or more of you decide to be a monk or nun, Daddy would be over-the-moon happy.

2. Addie asked me the other day on the way out the door if a case she had read about in one of the numerous books she has on the go was real. Yes, Addie, Hazelwood is a real case, and it really does say that school principals have the right to censor school newspapers. If you want to discuss it, I'd love to sit down and talk.

3. We are having an episcopal visit this weekend. Our bishop will be in town for dinner Sunday, when the clergy adults from our parish will eat together, and then there is a working meeting all day Monday for the clergy and Bishop Mike. I'd appreciate prayer, as I'm really looking forward to brainstorming and seeing if there is some way we can grow the church past its current 34 members. I'm getting tired of being a small church.

4. Two random websites that I love going to: Gene Veith is a Lutheran who is in leadership at Patrick Henry College. He always has great discussions on his blog, everything from baseball to current political events to the glories of Lutheran theology. Also, Dn. Lawrence Klimecki, a Catholic deacon whose art I really love.

5. Probably many of you have seen the rather breathless articles announcing the discovery of early Christian manuscripts in Jordan. This post from PaleoBabble pretty much sums up my feelings about the books: something seriously doesn't smell right.

6. Our office got hit by April Fool's Day pranksters today. All of the name signs outside our office doors got switched around. I switched gender, and Mike Farris got promoted to be me for the day :)

7. I found this out 20 minutes earlier than I usually would have, because my office has been increasing in messiness, so I came in early and cleaned off one of my two desks. I'll hit the other one later today.

And that's it. Happy Friday!

--DJ

5 comments:

the Joneses said...

Can we defer the over-the-moon happiness until we consult the mom on this issue? Thanks!

How is it that I live with you, but still can't predict what in the heck you're going to do Quick Takes about? I guess that's why I still like living with you. :)

-- SJ

bafferly said...

Or maybe consult with Nanas??

Want me to come help clear the other desk? You know how Dad has appreciated that help thru the years. Now there's no desk, so our marriage is healthier.

Your Quick Takes are always intriguing, & I really like the ones I understand.

And I really like YOU. <3

Anonymous said...

34 IS a big number, Daddy!

But, I'm a kid. 34's big to me.

--amj

Kim Bishop said...

Is Bishop Mike really coming this weekend?! I hadn't heard. How exciting.
Don't be too quick to want the church to grow. The bigger the church the more bickering, backbiting and anti Christian rhetoric. I love our small congregation.

Rachelle said...

3) Sigh.

4) I'm constantly amused at a Lutheran working at PHC.

6) Did you offer to send him back and forth to California two days in a row?

I like your quick takes too. I am uncertain how you can do things that annoy me because they are trendy and yet it is cool on you. Hmmm....