Monday, November 15, 2010

People, Parties, and Places

My friend Melissa dropped in for a visit last weekend. We've been friends since fourth grade, and it always feels good to be with someone who knows, without explanation, that I've hated Doritos since middle school. Usually in situations like these, a mother dreads that the old friend will talk too much about their wild youth. In our case, we were dorks who never did anything particularly shocking. Makes life easier as a parent.

**
We held our Ninth Annual All Saints' Day Party on Saturday. Our ninth, wow. For past parties, we've asked guests to bring a food related to a certain saint, and provided cards for them to write it down. We forgot the cards this year. Rest assured that the food was good, varied, and connected to the saints by only the most tenuous threads.

One of the fun parts of this annual event is the ever-changing guest list. We had a great turnout this year, many of them newcomers. On the other hand, Leah Garber and Charlessa (Gates) McConnell have come nearly every year.

Next year is our tenth. Maybe all our old friends can return, along with our new ones. We'll call it The Homecoming. On second thought, considering that we're talking about saints and martyrs, a party called The Homecoming rings a little ominous.

As a final note, I realized when planning this party that All Saints' Day Party can be shortened to ASDP -- our children's initials. It's made me laugh all month.

**
Stuart missed the dinosaur craze (about age 4 through 6) the first time around; he was too interested in mythological beasts then. Well, now he's caught it. So today we took the grand adventure of going into Washington D.C. to see the dinosaur bones in the Museum of Natural History. We've been saying for years (nine and a half, to be exact) that we can't wait till the kids are old enough to enjoy day trips to D.C.

Addie and Stuart are finally old enough to enjoy the displays and information. Daphne admired everything on her way past to something else. And Phillip was thrilled with the open layout that let him run as long as his short little legs would carry him.

This picture is a good visual interpretation of respective attention spans.

But for all four kids, everything in that museum paled in comparison to the utter joy of riding the Metro.





What was more fun is that Dana was able to meet us there. Sixteen years of friendship, four kids on one side, and a dissertation away from a Ph.D on the other side. It made the day special.

**
And finally, I would like to take this opportunity to announce that, last week, I took all the kids to the dentist, and they all came away with good reports. Medal please?

-- SJ

8 comments:

mary said...

Your mother told me to tell you that she is much impressed that y'all took all 4 kids. Loved the comment on the picture of the girls, and I am glad that you and Dana had some time together. Wish I could have been along for the metro ride: I can tell from Pip's expression that it was a great thrill.

Dana said...

Thanks for taking me along! It was fu.. I mean diverting to see the Joneses in action.

Too bad we didn't get any pictures in the butterfly exhibit; Daphne pretending to be a flower was the stillest and quietest Daphne we saw all day.

Also Addie told me when we first arrived, "I've taken an interest in paleo... paleo... what's that word?" The only thing I could think of was paleography, but she said, "No, that's words. I mean dinosaurs. I think it's paleontology."

Unknown said...

You do deserve a medal for good reports at the dentist!! :) Sorry we missed your party, but maybe we'll make it next year.
Oh, and I love the picture of your two girls and their attention spans!

Rachelle said...

You deserve a medal for taking four kids on the Metro. :) A little homesick seeing the two of you there in one of my favorite places.

bafferly said...

What fun to see the photos and to have a peek into the trip. Liked the pix of Addie & Stuart smiling on the metro--does Stuart have a sock puppet on? And life in the fast lane for the two little ones.

Laughed out loud at Addie's paleontology remark to Dana.

What a Great Thing that you're near enough D.C. to take the kids in for the day. Their interests will change thru the years, & there will always be something current to enthrall them.

the Joneses said...

Stuart is wearing a turtle mitten on one hand and a sock on the other. I congratulated myself that that was as weird as their outfits got... right, Katie?

Rachelle - But it was TWO of us with four kids on the Metro. Just ONE of me at the dentist, and it had been two years since I'd taken them.

I wish you could have been with us. In DC, not the dentist.

-- SJ

Amy K said...

You are SO lucky to live near the Smithsonian!!

And I totally agree with your thoughts on the time change! I HATE it!!!

Anonymous said...

butterfly tunnel!!

--amj