Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Apples!

We have a tradition here in our home. We've done it every year since last year. Yes, that's only two years, but where children are concerned, traditions get established pretty handily.

A nearby farmer's market sells a variety of apples. Every fall (last year and this year) we buy one of each type and have a Tasting Time around our kitchen table. Everyone has a chart to rate the sweetness of the apples. Before cutting them into bites, we always slice the apples width-wise to admire the star-and-dots pattern inside.

This year we had more varieties than last year, although I think the dry, dry summer affected their taste: some of the apples weren't as tart as we remembered, and some were downright bland. But there were some nice surprises, too. In all, we sampled 14 bits of apples last night.



Only eleven apples are shown here because I overlooked the last bag until after the picture. Notice the apple right in front of Stuart: an enormous Crispin that was bigger than my two hands together.

(Pip didn't join us for the Tasting. He went to bed after he started chunking apples off the table.)

The varieties we tried (not in order of the picture above, sorry) were: Arkansas Black, Cameo, Crispin, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Empire, Fuji, Granny Smith, Nittany, Pink Lady, Rome, Stayman, York, and Gala.

It was fun. We ate lots of apple. I have lots left over -- there's obviously apple bread in my family's future.

-- SJ

Bonus picture: Last year's Tasting!

10 comments:

Darren said...

Last year, Phillip was too young to chunk apples off the table, so he got to watch. Next year, he'll get to taste them. That should be fun!

Oh, and Pink Lady apples rock. Mmmm.

mary said...

I'm not sure I could name 14 varieties of apples, and I know that I have never seen that many in one place. It was a day of sophistication when we graduated from
Delicious only in the stores to Galas and Granny Smiths.

I like the Deep South, but I do wish we could grow apples and cherries.

Kristen R. said...

I love this idea! How do you keep track of which apple is which between the shop and home?

the Joneses said...

Kristen: There's probably an easier way, but I don't think methodically. Here's how I did it:

I took a pen and slips of paper with me. I'd put about three apples in a bag, write their names and a quick description on a paper, and drop it in the bag too.

It was important that I included only two or three apples in each bag. That way, when I got home and tried to figure out what the heck I meant by "r., spots, flatish," my options were limited. :)

-- SJ

dozenhalls said...

apple crisp! we had that last night :) when r u coming for a visit? don't u love beautiful fall days that kids can run outside???

Kelly Sauer said...

Apple bread? Have you posted a recipe?

Anonymous said...

How fun!!! Did yourealize that your tradition was healthy!!! Our traditions start that way too. Our "Charlie" Christmas tree will be a tradition, (year 2) because I liked it!

-Nina

bafferly said...

What a great tradition!!

Loved the pictures of both years. It will be fun to gauge Pip's growth by those each year, as well as the three Big Kids.

Happy Nana

Amy K said...

Love all the pictures! What a great tradition with the apple tasting. LOVE it. :)

Also, I think it's great you and Darren are taking cooking classes. What a fun, random thing to do together. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

apple bread=yummy

--amj