Saturday, April 03, 2010

What's In a Name?

I picked up The Baby Name Wizard and opened it to a random page. My eye fell on the name "Mercy." I like the name Mercy. Darren doesn't. I triumphantly read him the glowing blurb for "Mercy," proving my point that it's a great name.

"See? You should have considered it," I said. "Oh, and yesterday I was in the grocery store and I saw calla lilies and though, 'Oh, Calla! That beautiful name that you wouldn't let me have!' I hope you regret now the void left by Calla, who would have been a beautiful young name. Oh, and Tobin, that cute little boy name. Not that I still hold these against you. After all, there's always that nerdy little name Gwalchavad that I wouldn't let you have."

-- SJ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because, of course, Calla would have been a complete addition to Addie and Daphne. I like your logic, Sara.

(And I like your taste in names.)

~ Leah

the Joneses said...

I actually put forth Calla as a candidate when I was pregnant with Daphne. No takers. I tried again with Phillip, but circumstances dictated otherwise. Which was when I trotted out Tobin, to a frosty reception. I guess I could always write a novel for the express purpose of getting SOME use out of these great names.

-- SJ