Monday, April 26, 2010

Homeschooling Stereotypes

--DJ (initials at the top, at the request of several commenters who notice a distinct difference between my and Sara's writing style :))

On the invaluable blog Homeschooling Research Notes, there was a recent interesting discussion about homeschooling stereotypes, especially as noted in TV shows. We all know them - there's the jumper-wearing 11-kids-raising one, and then the granola-eating unschooling out-of-control one, and I'm sure the list could go on. Funny, though; I've been at several homeschool conferences recently, and I didn't see any of these. Lots of blue jeans, and at one small conference, I was complimented several times on my "large" family. Large, with four children. I was surprised.

One of the commenters noted, "I think the fact that there are now 'homeschooled types' means we’ve become just another part of American culture." I agree. Now, I suppose there could be another whole discussion on whether this is good or bad, but I tend to think it's very good for the long-term survival of homeschooling.

On a related note, I just finished reading "Write These Laws on Your Children" by Robert Kunzman, and I found it fascinating. Kunzman interviewed six homeschooling families, all Christian conservatives of one stripe or another, going out to their homes to watch the instruction, and following up over the next year. Although I didn't think it was as well-written as "Kingdom of Children," my favorite book on homeschooling, I liked the book very much overall. His major concern was that all children in a democratic society need to be raised to realize that in order to survive as a democracy, compromise and working with others is necessary. His second concern was that children should be raised to think for themselves, which I fully agree with, but in my opinion he somewhat simplistically believed that if children take on the belief structure of their parents, this concern has not been adequately addressed.

I don't agree with all of Kunzman's suggestions, but I think his book is very valuable reading to us homeschool parents.

2 comments:

TheLab said...

Thank you for this post, D.J.! My husband and I will be homeschooling our sons and have so very much to learn. (i.e. how to get started. #1 son is four years-old. Uh oh.)

Anyway, I'm going to look into both of those books. So glad to have those suggestions, families like yours and mutual friends of ours that I can ask questions!!!

Great post!

D said...

"children take on the belief structure of their parents"... um yeah... I have seen plenty of proof to the contrary.
Also, am the product of the opposite but in a good way. The only solution as far as how a kid turns out is the grace of God. Parents will keep racking their brains on how to control the outcome if they don't trust (His grace).