It's the beginning of a new era in the Roberts-Jones household: we're showing our children the original Star Wars movies.
I grew up with the movies because I have three older brothers. I remember that Matt in particular was fascinated (spelled O-B-S-E-S-S-E-D) by the Star Wars universe. In fact, I can't even watch "Return of the Jedi" now without remembering the parts where Matt whispered explanations and pointed out cool parts. Like in Jabba's palace, there's a two-second shot of this growling toad thing that he thought was really funny. Basically I watch "Jedi" through my brothers' eyes.
As for Darren, "Return of the Jedi" was the last movie he saw in a theater until "The Phantom Menace" came out in 1999. (Those in Kingdom and ATI circles will understand the whole Not Going To Theaters thing.)
Since the movies are such a part of our growing up, even during my hyperspiritual teenage years when I set my face against them, it's been very enjoyable showing them to our older three. A few thoughts while watching (and I assume if you're interested enough to read this, you've seen the movies already, because I don't veil all the top secret plot twists):
* "A New Hope" has such a corny plot. But even after 30 years, it's still so much fun to watch.
* "Empire Strikes Back" is a better movie than the first, but not nearly as rollicking a ride.
* "Return of the Jedi" sure is polished and sparkly compared to "New Hope." They keep those New Death Star floors waxed, baby. Even Darth Vader gleams.
* Oh, yeah, Darth Vader. Is there any child who has not called him Dark Vader? He was the embodiment of evil and scary back then. Now I sort of want to laugh at his plastic helmet.
* The "enhanced" versions do not enhance the experience. Mostly the additions were created by geeks blatantly geeking out with new, geekier technology.
* Daphne announced, "I like watching and talking!" So true.
* Stuart has watched "A New Hope" about seven times in the past two weeks.
* Addie was so distraught over Luke's hand that she flew out of the room and missed the big pivotal line of dialogue. She was also distressed by the scene in "Empire" where Luke is bobbing in a tank to recover from hypothermia -- wearing only briefs. "Did they have to make him do that in front of EVERYBODY?" she wailed.
* "Did you hear what he said, Stuart? Leia is the other Skywalker!" "Yeah, I know, because she's the only girl in the whole Star Wars movie."
* Darren told the kids before starting "Jedi" that in one part Leia wears clothes that we don't approve of and don't want our daughters to wear. Addie agreed wholeheartedly, assuring us that she'd always dress "modern."
*I'm most impressed by the cool special effects and battle scenes because they weren't created with a video game in mind. See: Podracing.
Darren can sit through the new trilogy with them if he wants to, but I'm not interested. Trouble is, the kids probably like those just as well. Maybe better. Which makes me feel like a Baby Boomer, insisting that my original movies are better than THEIR new glitzy movies.
(But they are.)
-- SJ
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
None of the subsequent episodes ever matched the excitement of seeing the prologue scrolling up against a field of stars on the "first" one in the movie theater, back in the seventies. :D
Your kids are hilarious, BTW. My kids are ga-ga over the movies too.
But would Addie kiss a wookie?
DOB and I both missed out on them the first time around, so we tried watching them as adults and found them rather painful without a softening glow of nostalgia. Thus we may never get around to showing them to our children, and perpetuate the chain of Star Wars Nonfandom.
They'll watch *Princess Bride*, though.
"...set my face against them..."---HA HA HA!
One thing I like about that scene where Leia wears The Clothes Our Daughters Shall Not Wear is that Leia's expression so clearly indicates that both Leia AND the actress playing Leia ALSO disapprove of the clothing. She is simultaneously expressing "If this giant slimy nasty creature weren't forcing me to do this..." AND "If my bosses weren't forcing me to do this..."
If it were a choice between public tank-floating and kissing a Wookie, Addie would rather kiss a Wookie.
-- SJ
I missed the originals when they came out the first time and only got around to watching them a few years ago. Mostly, cuz a SW obsessed boyfriend was so incredulous. Something like, "Oh my God, how have you never seen these movies? What rock have you been living under?" I liked them, actually... even without the childhood nostalgia. But I still havent gotten around to watching the three new ones. Honestly, no real plans to in the near future either.
P.S. Im with Addie. I'd rather kiss a wookie than the whole public tank-floating thing too.
They are.
the Originals. The Best.
The prequels. The Jar-jar. The awful pain and agony. The complete disillusionment. When I watched Episode One in my early 20's, that was the day all my naivete and silly dreams were stripped away and I became the cynical man I am now :-(
Thankyou George Lucas.
[goes off to the corner to drown his sorrow in diet Mt. Dew]
Post a Comment