Fresh bread was just out of the breadmaker, and the kids were buzzing around like yellow jackets to get some. Meanwhile, the living room was a disaster. I said, "Okay, y'all!"
They recognized the tone instantly. "I don't WANT to clean up!" Stuart wailed. "I want bread!"
I continued, "I have good news and bad news."
"We have to clean up," Addie muttered. (She really did mutter. Addie enjoys performing the literary conventions she reads about. You should hear her uncertain quavering voice.)
I continued, "The bad news is, we still have to wait about thirty minutes to cut the bread. The good news is, we get to fill up the time by cleaning up the living room!"
And I laughed out loud at my own cleverness, and because their puzzled expressions just made my funny statement even funnier.
For the record, Addie and Stuart didn't laugh at all.
-- SJ
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
At the very least, Addie should have chuckled resignedly, or said something wryly. (.Or rye-ly, depending on what kind of bread you made.) I would love to hear the quavery voice.
LOL! The ducklings share the bread addiction. Her Majesty has had to go from a loaf or two a week to one a day, nearly.
Well, I laughed too - at your cleverness, yes, but also at Stuart's preemptive strike.
I'll have to keep your clever spin in mind next time I have to deliver good and bad news. ;)
~ Leah
Amazing how our kids learn us and the other way around.
I used to use the good/bad news thing and then Gracie started saying it and now Cary does.
"Mama, I have bad news, there's a monster in our house. The good news is if you let me up from my nap I'll lock the monster in the dungeon."
I love being a parent sometimes... Good call!
Post a Comment