Friday, February 13, 2009

A Rare Post from Darren

I've enjoyed reading Sara's posts (big surprise there, eh?) about church. As Kelly said, I've appreciated her willingness to "look a little un-put-together."

I don't share the dislike of church with Sara. My mom recently described my dad as loving church on “Sundays and Sunday nights and Bible studies and prayer meetings and choir practices and board meetings and deacons' meetings and music nights and praise & prayer services and whatever else is offered 8 nights a week.” That pretty much describes me too.

However, Sara is much more comfortable with the spontaneous working of the Holy Spirit than I am. Far more. I realized several months ago during a conversation with Sara that the images of the Spirit in Scripture – fire, water, wind – are images that I am uncomfortable because of their fluid power. My mom has said many times that she loves the Holy Spirit. I tend to try to avoid Him.

So here’s a short description of my feelings on the matter.

Hymn to the Holy Spirit

I fear Thee, O multi-splendoured Spirit,

For my aspect is Earth.

But Thou art Fire

and Water

and Wind.

All of which dance.

The licking flames, the rushing flood, and the mighty gale are infamously injurious to dirt’s dignity.

Yet dirt alone cannot live.

So breathe life in my hard clay.

Bathe me in Thine ocean’s swells.

Fire me in the kiln of Thy desire.

Above all, teach this clump of dirt to dance.

--DJ

6 comments:

Kelly Sauer said...

Pete: "That is REALLY cool!"

Me: Wow. Thank you for sharing these thoughts, and this poem. At the end of such a week for me, I really needed this perspective, this reminder that I don't have to be right, that I can be dust, that I am dust, and I don't have to fear His work in my life because He brings me life.

Here's wishing we could hang out with you guys and yak for a while!

Linds said...

I'm so proud to be your sister, Darren.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

I can relate with you, Darren. I too LOVE church and I tend to try to avoid the Holy Spirit on many levels. I'm growing, though. :)

Amy Jordon said...

That's beautiful, Darren. Thanks for that inspiring and introspective post.

musicman said...

Love the words Darren. I am one who tends to survive formal church by keeping busy while there but what I crave are relationships with brothers in Christ which exhort and challenge and encourage me to press near to the heart of God....and not to grow wiery in well doing.

Daughter of Divagation said...

"Teach this clump of dirt to dance..."

Love it. You need to post more often, Mr. J.