Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Liking Church

It happens every single week. By this time, I always know what's coming so I start dreading it by Friday. It was particularly depressing that my birthday coincided with it this year.

I'm talking about Sunday, of course.

Most parents of young children find Sundays stressful, but for the past two or three years I've actively disliked the day. My role at church can be described in brief as "kid-keeper." And when the kids are unruly, not to mention disliking church themselves, church simply becomes a reminder of the fultility and failure that my parenting is.

"There are techniques for training your children to sit in church with you," I was told once. It was an unhelpful remark, because by that time I myself didn't want to sit in church, much less with three children. It wasn't that I didn't try to keep them still and quiet, anyway. But Sunday after Sunday I left church discouraged and frustrated. The occasional Sundays when someone "spoke" to me or Darren about the children were especially dark.

I sit in the pew thinking, "What's the point of all this?" and at the same time grieving that Stuart, especially, knows how to sit quiet and bored throughout the service. How can it be worth making your children participate in service when they end up hating it by age six? Age six to thirty-two, for that matter.

A combination of incidents recently helped jar my thoughts to a new track. Said incidents, which I won't detail, have been pretty painful. We met to resolve the conflict with the other party; it went well at the time, but the aftermath was a horrible all-night and next-day processing that left me sleep-deprived and angry.

Then, as I expected, my mind suddenly sifted through everything and settled down. I realized the next evening that I wasn't chewing over the problem anymore. At the same time, I started reading a book called "Parenting in the Pew." The book was full of the same advice I'd heard over and over at church. But it wasn't in direct relation to my own children, and I was finally able to hear what was actually being said.

Of course I hated Sundays. Who in the world enjoys taking three kids to a weekly meeting where all you do is "sit quietly"? Not only was I trying to get them to sit quietly, that's what I was doing, too. And church doesn't exist just for being quiet. We go to church to worship. The problem wasn't how my children behaved, or how good a parent I wasn't, but that I've forgotten how to worship.

(There are lots of other issues wrapped up in this one, which I probably won't put on the blog. I'm actually surprised this one made it past my reflexive privacy-and-must-look-put-together instinct.)

This week, I sat Addie and Stuart down at the table and told them that I wanted to do Sundays differently. "Daddy loves Sundays. But we three don't. So I want us to learn how to be excited about Sundays." I've been going through the service with them, explaining why we do each part. I made up cards with each of this Sunday's Scripture references on them -- in code! -- so we can look them up and be familiar with the readings ahead of time.

And Addie and Stuart have responded excitedly! Happily! They want to love church! Ha! I'm making that up completely! They slouch in their chairs, sigh, groan, and tune me out. But I've caught a glimmer of interest now and then; they do like parts of church, and I think they're captivated by the thought that Mama needs to learn as much as they do.

I expect Sundays to be as tiring as they ever were. I expect Stuart to get surly now and then and Addie to have meltdowns. What I hope to expect, however, is that my focus will be different, which means my spirit will be lighter, which means that maybe some Sunday I really will like church.

-- SJ

8 comments:

Kim said...

Sara, I have been there as well. There are times that I just want to leave church when Ryan asks me 800 times "How many songs are left?"

I have put him in nursery before too...the woman who runs it is really nice and cool with it because Ryan helps with the little ones and is very good.

I have started talking to Ryan to let him know how disrespectful it was to me and others around me, as well as, the pastor. I also take away privileges, which he doesn't like..LOL!!

Kim

Peter said...

Isn't church an incredibly humbling place for parents? I can't pretend everything is great when my 4 year old is so obviously misbehaving. But its not about me or my parenting skills. Its about my family worshiping (or learning to worship) the Almighty God of the Universe. For all of my inclinations to put on a mask, bringing my kids to church is a great antidote. Yeah, that's my kid trying to wiggle under the pews. But there are also those moments when he asks what this whole grape juice and cracker thing is about and listens with rapt attention as the mystery of the sacraments is explained. Yeah, its all worth it.

Amy Jordon said...

Thanks for being honest about your feelings. I think many of us feel/have felt the same way. I thought I might as well not come to church when Andrew was a baby and I had to stay in the nursing room b/c he cried so much. And soon Andrew will be to old for the nursery and have to sit in the service with us...

Anonymous said...

I definitely can relate to you, Sara. 3 out of 4 Sundays a month I take the boys to church on my own. My sister goes to church with us, so she can often help once we get there. But I want to be a joyful worshiper and show them that's what it's all about. Especially since their daddy is usually the one leading worship, I also want to be an example to them too. It's ultimately not about what's on the outside (behavior) but the inside (the heart). Not that it doesn't help when they're obedient!! :)

Mississippi Rose said...

Don't you love it when your 5 year old yawns. . .loudly. . .during a quiet moment in church?:) Camie did this a few weeks ago and I got embarassed. I quickly leanded down and hushed her and then it dawned on me that why would she know it was impolite? We'd not discussed it before. So then it got to be a little funny. I think I expect my preshcoolers to be adults automatically sometimes.

Kelly Sauer said...

Thanks for posting this. It is good to hear your heart. I am glad you weren't afraid to look a little un-put-together. :-)

Amy K said...

I can relate. There have been many Sundays where we wonder, "Why did we even go to church today? Why do we try?"

Kevin is good at whispering to Meredith when there are key parts of the service that she should pay attention to (he especially does this during communion time). And we've tried hard to teach her some of the songs that are often sung so she can sing too and be part of it.

Do you have a conviction against allowing the children to do a quiet project (lace-ups, coloring, etc.) or read some religious books? We've found that this has helped--to save back a few really special books/items and make these for Sundays-Only. That way she has that to look forward to.

I agree--Sunday should be joy and not drudgery and stress! And it's hard with little kids.

D said...

We have a children's Church after the singing, so I haven't really had a problem. I have an idea though. I don't know how this would really play out, but maybe after you explain different parts of the service to the kids you could make up "Church Bingo" cards. Some of the things in the squares could refer to certain parts of the service (offering, prayer, communion), key words (Jesus, prophet, amen), or themes (love, faith, obedience). Then as they listen they can place circles on the squares that have things they see or hear. Maybe they can get rewards in the car for how many squares or rows they cover. I know how popular "storytime candy" is with Stuart. Perhaps a small box of "Churchtime candy" in your car if they've been good and done well on their "bingo".
The only problem I could see with this is if they get excited and yell "Bingo!!!" half way through the service. That could be bad. Unless you tell them it's hallelujah bingo... and if they shout hallelujah it would seem as though they are praising God. Just kidding about that last one.
:-) Well, it may be shaky one, but there's my idea.