Monday, February 16, 2009

Random Thoughts

1. So why haven't I done the "25 Random Things About Me" on in the blogworld and Facebook? Because if too many people like the same thing at the same time, I decide I don't like it.

2. Of course, I'm not the only person like this. If I meet too many people who refuse to go along with popular opinion like I do, I might have to stop being like that. On principle.

3. I like to read books about the advertising industry, despite having no experience or even interest in an actual advertising career.

4. "55 and Better" communities, which exclude anyone who isn't retired and affluent, especially anyone with those disruptive creatures called "children," do not celebrate true diversity.

5. This month I've had my two older nieces (Courtney and Katie) up for visits. We all have similarities that I like to think are in the bloodline and not just coincidences.

6. I also don't do "25" things because I don't like being required or restricted to a certain number. It feels like a list.

7. So you've heard of Reborns, right? My favorite quote: "One woman in the BBC documentary, married and in her 40s, said she wanted a real baby, but was too busy to commit to caring for a real one. A reborn doll satisfies her maternal instincts, she said, without all the carrying on and mess.

Reborns, she said, 'never grow out of their clothes, never soil them. It's just fabulous. The only difference, of course, is these guys don't move.'" Or that they're not actually people, so that you have none of the joy of watching a new person grow up before you. No, wait, the difference is that you're not actually being a mother. If that's what they think motherhood is -- dressing and playing with a happy baby -- then fake children fit very well into their fake worlds.

8. I'm obviously feeling snippy tonight. We all -- including Katie -- went to Mount Vernon today, and had a great time. But I missed my nap.

9. After many years and hundreds of listen-tos, I still love Ashokan Farewell.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Yeah. I know. The list thing bugs me but I like to think of it as stream of thought writing with a number attached (and the number is just so I don't keep going and going and going and...)

I hadn't heard of reborns and all I can say is, "Boy am I glad they AREN"t having children." Weird people.

Rose said...

I'm so glad that someone took advantage of the free admission! It's been years since I was around this time of year, but I still miss going.

Kelly Sauer said...

The Farewell is a favorite of mine too...

I'm totally with ya on the "if everybody does the same thing..."

Alison said...

LOL, reading this list is like reading something my husband wrote. I started to relate to him how much you sounded alike in items 1 & 2, but the similarities didn’t stop there. He has been complaining about Reborn dolls lately. And to top it all off, you had to go and like his favorite song, too. (We had Ashokan Farwell played at our wedding.) You two would probably get along very well, but then you would be too much alike so you’d have to be contrary and hate each other. :-)

Mississippi Rose said...

I think you listed 9 things just to be contrary and stop short of the traditional even 10. :)

the Joneses said...

Alison, your last line is still making me laugh.

-- SJ

D said...

#9-- I love that song too! We should be friends. ;-)