Monday, September 24, 2007

A New Adventure

One of the great things about being a father is that I get to introduce my kids to things that I enjoy.

When I was seven, one of our neighbors taught us a little bit of karate (thanks, Uncle Kenny!). As a legal assistant 15 years later, I took tae kwan do at a local studio in Purcellville and had a blast, especially sparring.

Now I'm starting over, with Addie and Stuart, at a studio just 5 minutes from our house. It's a lot of fun, and both kids are doing well at it.

But one of the best things about it is that now Sara and I aren't the only ones telling the kids, "Stand still!"

--DJ



P.S. Yes, Addie is holding a book. It's for reading out in the car. Isn't that what everyone does in the car?

4 comments:

Queen of Carrots said...

Congratulations on getting to do it together! We have friends who do karate with their kids, and are considering it for some day. Hope you have a good time!

Barbara said...

Yay for you all! Mike, Jacob and Daniel have been taking tae kwon do together since April. Hannah will start after her 5th birthday next year. It's so nice to have something to do together. Mike is often surprised at how much the boys teach him!

Anonymous said...

I think that's awesome. What a great way for them to learn new skills, expell energy, and spend time with Daddy!

Btw, yes, reading in the car. At least... that's what I used to do before I started driving. And what I still do on long trips.

Anonymous said...

Of course, I always bring a book for the car . . . when I'm not driving, that is!

That's awesome, the kids will have so much fun, and that's great you can enjoy it together.