Thursday, May 26, 2011

Kid Bits

Playing Wizard 101:

Addie: "Oh, those Fire Elves! I can think of several other names for them!"
Stuart: "Like what?"
Addie: "Nuisance, Aggravation, Irritating Elves... that's several names."
Stuart: "Oh, I thought you meant like 'Bob.'"

***
Daphne has realized that she doesn't pronounce her R's correctly. So she's giving herself intense speech therapy, practicing words like "more" and "four" and "girl." It's working.

***
A couple of weekends ago, Chick-Fil-A advertised a "mother-son date night." I liked the idea because it would be a one-on-one event with Stuart. He liked the idea because it was Chick-Fil-A.

We dressed nicely and drove over to the restaurant (I'd called ahead to reserve our spot). We got our picture with the Chick-Fil-A cow, sat at a table with a blue (plastic) tablecloth and a small flower in a vase, and were served our meal. A magician came around to each table to perform funny tricks -- he was a little alarmed that Stuart laughed so hard he had to have his inhaler.

Stuart and I played Connect Four and a Whack-A-Mole card game while eating, and then Stuart got his face painted. He asked for a crocodile, and the lady painted the croc's mouth around the corner of Stuart's -- so that when Stuart opened and closed his mouth, so did the crocodile. It was brilliant.

A good time was had by all. As parodist and comedian Tim Hawkins expresses, we love Chick-Fil-A.

***
Phillip has everything he needs for talking: inflection, body language, topic of conversation... everything except, you know, words. He's more interested in sounds, anyway. Particularly of the bodily type.

***
Addie wanted me to play Wizard tonight instead of working on the budget. She informed me that she'd found a note I'd obviously typed for myself. It was on the desktop on the computer, and said, "Note to self: play wizard 101 tonight." I replied that, despite the note to myself, I still needed to see to the budget. A few minutes later, she directed my attention to the note again. This time it said, "Note to self: play wizard 101 tonight. do budgeting tomorrow." What could I say? Obviously it was on my to-do list.

-- SJ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha, Addie! Very clever.

~ Miss Leah

P.S. Sara, your other kids are clever and delightful too. =)

jmaestro said...

I read this:

Addie: "Oh, those Fire Elves! I can think of several other names for them!"
Stuart: "Like what?"
Addie: "Nuisance, Aggravation, Irritating Elves... that's several names."
Stuart: "Oh, I thought you meant like 'Bob.'"

and thought: "Yup, homeschoolers."