We usually get a babysitter for Valentine's Day, but this year health and money (or, more specifically, a lack of both) decided for us that we'd have an in-house celebration this year.
After Phillip went to bed at 7, we put on videos for the three older kids. Darren told them not to disturb Mama and Daddy "unless there's blood... and even then think carefully about it." It was like in those action flicks where the general barks, "Okay, men, once I send in my troops, you've got an hour and fifteen minutes to get in, get the goods, and get out. Go!" As soon as the kids were under the electronic anesthesia, Darren and I escaped to our bedroom with a tray of champagne, home-made ice cream, and a little box of specialty truffles.
While I ate all of the truffles, Darren pulled out some Mad Libs he'd created for the occasion. He told me to give him "sensual" words, so I obliged with some Harlequin romance gems like "insistently" and "velvety" and "indulged."
Darren then proceeded to read to me, "How to Prepare Barbecued Chicken." It would have been hilarious even without the influence of champagne.
Happy Valentine's Day!
-- SJ
Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That's sooooo FUNNY!
You will probably remember this celebration longer than you do the more elaborate ones.
I have been pondering on why moments which seemed to insignificant then, and also when recalled, are the ones which stuck, but what people usually regard as important events are vague to me. Why does the brain record how the ditch looked after a rain, but forget the name of a once-best-friend?
My husband recently told me his parents would tie a wooden spoon to their bedroom door as a "do not disturb" sign for children. Which helped me understand how they managed 9 of them. :)
This made me laugh. You funny, wonderful kids!
Post a Comment