This morning I started a long, meditative post about why I've not been blogging as much lately. Three paragraphs in, I got bored with it.
So instead, here's the brisk and breezy version as to why my blogging has trickled off lately:
1. I'm *not* pregnant, so it's not like that is a contributing factor. I just thought I'd mention it sort of as a celebratory thing.
2. I've been channeling what writing energy I have into writing Pieces (as we journalists call it) that I can sell.
3. I've been researching markets that might buy my writing.
4. I hate researching markets.
5. I got my first rejection back yesterday. I'm a little discouraged, because my pool of potential markets isn't very big. The "pool" is more like a "puddle." On the other hand, the only way to become a successful writer is to submit, which involves collecting rejections, so I consider myself well begun.
6. I'm homeschooling. Now, I'm not the do-it-all homeschooling type. I read the advice articles for first-year homeschoolers that said, "Don't try to do it all!" and thought, "Okey-dokey!" In some ways, my natural low-key approach is good. We don't get keyed-up, burned-out, or overwhelmed. But this year I'm having to ratchet things up to get the kids up to speed in a couple of subjects. It's mostly going fine, except on Mondays when I am a living, breathing bundle of inadequacies.
7. I have a one-year-old.
8. Want a list of the one-year-old's current favorite activities? Standing at the kitchen sink while the water is running; pushing chairs up to the counter and eating leftovers from lunch; pushing the water dispenser on the fridge; letting himself out the front door; banging on the computer keyboard; and pushing buttons on music toys and SINGING LOUDLY. The last one isn't destructive, but it's not very tuneful, either. All of what he does is awfully cute. Lucky for him.
9. I've got three things in the planning stage: anniversary festivities, an upcoming party, and aforementioned giveaways.
10. I hate planning things.
11. When I have something to plan, I seize up and don't get anything done until the deadline sneaks up behind me and shoves me into action again.
12. I've got four articles lined up for the next year. Articles that, if I write them well, bring in money.
13. I love getting money for my writing.
14. I just finished two Nancy Drew games. Nancy Drew games are cool. They siphon off a lot of blogging (reading, praying, eating, breathing...) time. I recommend the following games:
The Secret of the Old Clock
The Secret of Shadow Ranch
The White Wolf of Icicle Creek
The Ransom of the Seven Ships
Warnings at Waverly Academy
I also recommend Universal Hint System because otherwise you'll never solve the games and will be reduced to a creature slobbering frustration and shrieking, "What do those stupid hobo symbols mean? How do you beat the coyote game? What do I do after I find the T-rex bone?"
15. Is it disturbing that I wrote more about Nancy Drew games than I did about homeschooling?
16. It's suppertime, and I made green chile quiche, and I'm hungry. So, um, the end.
-- SJ
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Keep going with your writing. I like it and I'm sure you'll find more places that want it.
I want to try the green chile quiche.
Yes, you do like Nancy Drew games. We all need our little indulgences.
;-)
I'm in awe you're homeschooling 3 kids and also have a baby!
I always figure that if a lack of blogging means I'm writing "pieces" that's a good thing. Good luck with your writing and market research. :)
I need you in my life, Sara. I love your perspective. You help me not take myself so seriously.
Post a Comment