Friday, September 03, 2010

7 Quick Takes, September 3, 2010

--DJ

It's been a while since I've done a blog post, and I'm out of practice. Let's see what comes of this! :)

Here's the link for the 7 Quick Takes home at Conversion Diary.

1. One of my favorite blogs to go to daily is Gene Edward Veith's thoughts on religion, politics, how the two interact, culture, food, random tidbits... He's a fun writer. Today he linked to a wonderful couple of recipes: Deep Fried Beer and Chicken Fried Bacon. I'll pass on the first, but doesn't the second one just sound so delicious?

2. This link's a little harder to get to, but it's worth it. Kari Jobe has a Christmas video that's really gorgeous. Click here, then go to page 18 and click on the black box at the top left. I think you'll like it. Unless you don't like Kari Jobe (not that I know anyone like this. Right, Sara?)

3. What I'm Reading: The Way of Kings. I have been a big fan of Brandon Sanderson's work ever since Elantris, and so I actually went out and bought the hardcover. Borders then tried to sell me their Rewards Plus program for $20, since "you obviously like hardcover books!" Um, no, this was the first hardcover I'd bought in 2 years. I'm only on page 130 (out of 1000), but I'm really liking it so far. Interesting characters, fascinating worldbuilding, and very cool illustrations and maps.

4. For school with the two older kids, I'm doing Character Building Activities for Kids by Darlene Mannix. Lots of fun activities and worksheets. Addie and Stuart are enjoying it. The first character quality is honesty, and it's already been fodder for some good discussions about how honesty isn't just what you say, but what you do.

5. I've gotten to take 2 Indian cooking classes from Daniel in the last month, and that has been a lot of fun. I hope to make a couple of the recipes for when Dad and Mom come to visit.

6. What I'm Reading: God’s Lyrics: Rediscovering Worship Through Old Testament Songs. Interesting book about modern Christian music and how it could be made better by incorporating elements from the Songs of Moses, Deborah's Song, Hannah's Song, and several from Isaiah. I've just started on it; I'll try to give a review later.

7. In one of Amy's recent posts, she mentioned how most of the kids' berries were gone from their pail by the time they were done picking. She described it as "so fun." I would find that incredibly irritating - when I'm berry picking, I don't eat a single berry until we're home, and I get annoyed if anyone else does. Weird, I know :)

And that's it. Have a good Labor Day!

6 comments:

the Joneses said...

You are FORBIDDEN from thinking that chicken-fried bacon sounds delicious. FORBIDDEN.

The Kari Jobe song wasn't too bad. She never got to the desperate shouting stage that features so prominently in her version of "The Wonder of the Cross."

P.S. If we ever go berry picking together, please realize that I will be eating the berries as we go. Because I'm not a weirdo like you. Also I love you.

-- SJ

Booker said...

I've got Sanderson on my TBR list. Probably be the next book I read, since I'm in the middle of Brooks' Bearers of the Black Staff.

I'll probably wait til 3 or 5 books are out to decide if I want to actually buy them. Room is getting more and more of a premium! Thank goodness for my Sony 505 ;-)

Bullfrog said...

You skipped right over the deep-fried beer. Sounds curious to me.

Oh, and my grandma taught me at a young age to eat as many berries as you put in your container. But, of course, you must fill it and bring it home that way.

Booker said...

Just finished Way of Kings.

Overhyped piece of generic, overlong, boring prose.

I am SO disappointed. It took until past the 500page mark to even draw me in and past the 800page mark to get me excited.

I'm not bothering with the rest of the series until 3 or 4 books are out. and I certainly won't be buying them.

I am sad :-(

fiddlrts said...

You can't bring yourself to eat even ONE berry?
My theory is that since you pay by the pound for what you take home, you can increase the actual yield by ingesting an equal quantity. Particularly if picking blueberries.

Rachelle said...

Ah Indian....I love Indian. Sadly, it was after your sister was my housemate that she learned to love it. But now I know she would love you to cook for her too.