(I'm talking about my husband. I'm the wife. He got the Gold Stars and I got the weekend away.)
We'd planned this since the beginning of the year -- as soon as Phillip didn't need me for all his nutritional needs, I'd get to go away overnight. As the weekend approached, I told Darren to remind me to make reservations at a hotel so I wouldn't get up to the day and find that I had to sleep in the stable out back.
Darren, who does up everything spiffy, said, "Why not look into Bed and Breakfasts?"
Oh. OH! What a good idea!
I found one in the middle of town, in a house originally built in 1840. I was there to write and rest, not to take pictures; so I finished three stories but took only a couple of pictures. What I have, I share here:
I stayed in a room that was once a study, where men gathered to debate politics. Here's the entrance to my room. It was set back into a deep arch, and you practically had to turn sideways to get in. I loved it.
My room was paneled entirely with carved wood. You can see my little black dana there on the bed. It was my constant companion all weekend.What did I do? I found a creek, and sat on a rock with my feet in the water and wrote for over an hour. I walked around the neighborhood, where the houses are large and beautiful... and sometimes a little overdone:

I called my mom from an antique/junk store to tell her, "I've discovered that what I'm most interested in is furniture -- especially the furniture that's used to display wares. Thanks for that genetic bequest." Mom laughed at me.
Deidre, who also got many Gold Stars, offered to watch our kids so Darren could meet me for supper. I'd told Darren I'd love for him to visit me, but then he had to go away again.
I came home this morning in time for all of us to go to church together. (That in itself is bloggable: we almost never get to go to church as a sixsome, since Darren usually has to be there an hour early.)
Mostly, I spent the weekend savoring the solitude and quiet. It was what I needed. Dear Darren: Thank you, thank you, thank you.

How about let's do it again sometime?
-- SJ
8 comments:
Happy Father's Day Darren! Nice work on this little gift.
Tell Darren that your mom thanks him too (and Prince John thanks him, and John Boy...wait, that's a different story.) Anyway, I am glad that you found such an architectural place to stay; what was the furniture like?
That. is. awesome!
Mom: The owner of the B&B furnished it entirely herself. What I mean is, none of the furniture was original to the house. She chose the style well: it fit the character of the house. You know, an 1840s brick house. Which is to say, it was pretty boring.
Except the arched, set-in bookshelves. Those were nice. Oh, and the huge bank of twelve windows on one wall. That was nice, too. (She hired somebody to clean them.)
-- SJ
Breaks are good. ;-)
I like the pics, especially the gate.
I love the doorway!
How awesome! Darren gets major points!
Hope it happens again too. You're banking enough Gold Stars to qualify. Glad it was wonderful, Honey. Enjoyed the photos & the text.
Love, Miss Bev
Post a Comment