Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Fruit of an Incentive

As part of a work mental wellness initiative, I am working on writing a poem every week for the next few months. I was pretty happy with how this first one turned out. I think it works better read aloud, since it's alliterative.

"Holy Saturday"

Today, the earth stands silent.

Gone the grief of yesterday,
Or rather, say not gone, but paused:
Spent by sadness, women wait;
Friends who faltered breathe deep after weeping:
Weeping will last the night, and joy unlooked-for comes tomorrow,
But today, the earth stands silent.

Not so Hades.
From out its iron gates sound forth
The sound of weapons never before wielded by man,
Weapons strong against strongholds.
Now Man makes mockery of the ancient foe,
Whose scornful challenge, “Who is this king of glory?”
Is cast back in iron teeth: “The Lord, mighty in battle.”
Hell harrowed, sinners saved by sinless Sin.

Bordered by sadness and joy,
Filled with quiet and quiescent triumph,
Today, the earth stands silent.

--DJ

8 comments:

Kate Roberts said...

Very nice! I really enjoyed it. I hope to see more soon!

D said...

Ahem, mostly S.J. blogs, so I get to the end and have to readjust my brain.

I enjoyed the poem, but it made more sense when I read it the second time (only then understanding t'was penned by D.J.).

Kate Roberts said...

I think we're going to have to start putting our initials at the beginning of the post. Darren has thrown many readers for a loop more than once. :)

-- SJ

the Joneses said...

And the fact that Katie was signed in instead of me just further muddies the waters.

-- SJ

mary said...

Darren, this sounds like more of you and less of any other poet whom either of us might have read. This one reached me without having any revved-up emotive writing. I like it.

Queen of Carrots said...

Very good.

TheLab said...

Um. WOW.

Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful that in the middle of earning a living, being a family man & a deacon, you can turn out a poem like this that moves your mom's heart to tears.

You captured the essence of that Saturday, & with you I worship & rejoice in the king of glory & the Lord, mighty in battle!!

Looking forward to more,
Your longest-time fan,
Mom