Monday, April 05, 2010

Busting Myths

It's the Monday after a holiday, and I'm feeling cranky. So I'd like to take this time to set a few facts straight. Knock a hole in some accepted wisdom. Bust some myths.

Don't get your hopes up -- this isn't actually going to be much use to anybody who isn't me. But what are blogs good for if not cranky rants from time to time?

Note: As might be apparent from the following entries, I have a longstanding grudge against breakfast-mongers. The idea of a "proper" breakfast has been shoved down my throat for years. Um, figuratively speaking.

Myth #1
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you don't eat breakfast, you'll be sluggish and fatigued all morning.

The Truth:
While I'm pregnant and nursing, I have to eat breakfast. When I'm a normal person, I'm liberated. I don't need breakfast, and in fact I dislike eating anything before 9:30 in the morning. Breakfast is not my most important meal and I resent being told that it is by people who don't live in my body.

Myth #2
You must drink at least eight (ten? sixteen? three gallons?) glasses of water a day. Everybody should. When you get thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

The Truth:
I don't drink a lot of water. I don't get thirsty. Too much water at once makes me feel icky. Of course, it's different when I'm pregnant: that's the only time I drink close to the recommended daily allowance of water (although of course then I'm supposed to drink more. Whatever). Usually I just let Darren the Human Camel make up the difference.


Myth #3
Exercise energizes you and makes you feel good! Endorphins and all that!

The Truth:
Exercise makes me tired.

Myth #4
Granola and/or oatmeal is a good, filling, energizing breakfast (which is the most important meal of the day.)

The Truth:
Granola holds me over... for about an hour and a half. Then I crash and feel horrible. On the other hand, two toaster waffles with butter and syrup do me nicely until lunchtime. But the best breakfast is beef stew over rice, sometime after 9:30.

There. Isn't the world a better place now?

-- SJ

8 comments:

D said...

Watch out for water... it can be addictive.

I think people just want their moms to make them breakfast. Maybe it isn't important.

Unknown said...

Sara,
I find that exercise makes me tired, too. Thank goodness it's not just me!

mary said...

Not that your mom tried to force you to eat breakfast, nor even cooked you one. I, too. don't like food in the early morning. I think our ideas about breakfast came from the days when people milked a cow, pumped water, and hoed the garden before coming inside for the first meal of the day.

fiddlrts said...

Yes, breakfast is WAY overrated.

You would drink more water (at least during the summer) if you lived in Bakersfield.

With all due respect (meaning very little), pizza is the perfect breakfast food. Ask any guy...

Darren said...

Yes, I'm with fiddlrts on the pizza thing. Especially meat lovers, with nice salty sausage.

Oops, gotta go refill my water. Thinking about pizza makes me thirsty :)

Cassandra said...

Oatmeal and granola leave me hungry an hour and a half later, too! People say they are filling but I don't think so. I like eating fruit for breakfast, or leftovers from dinner. lol

TheLab said...

Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!

You are BRAVE and... as mentioned, AWESOME!

This was such a cool post! I loved it! I can't stand when people tell me certain things will fill me up, or give me energy or, blah blah blah.

RIGHT ON, SJ!

Sarah M. said...

I'm with you on #1 and #2 so much that I thought it was me you were talking about. ;-) Although oddly enough for the last three days I've wanted to drink nothing but water. Maybe it was the 90 weather. :)