Amazing what just one letter can do.
For example:
"She took her cell phone out of her purse."
Not exciting, but gives the reader a concrete mental image to work with.
On the other hand, a simple extraneous letter can change everything:
"She took her cello phone out of her purse."
To tell the truth, I prefer the latter. Absolutely revolutionizes the story and blasts the reader's expectations to bits. But, perhaps because I lack courage -- I did remove the O.
-- SJ
Monday, December 07, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh, leave the O. It is so much more unexpected that way.
'She took the cello phone out of her purse, hearing the familiar ring tone Air on a G String that signaled which special someone was calling.'
Or you could change one more letter and have a jello phone. My inner 4-year-old is objecting to writing a paper which involves incomprehensible neo-Platonism and prefers to contemplate a jello phone misshapen by the purse jostling.
Or you could change another letter and have, "She took her cello phane out of her purse." Nice way to wrap up a story.
Post a Comment