Not that I have done 62 "7 Quick Takes," but that is what Conversion Diary is up to.
1. The jokes that I tend to like best are those that poke fun at what is actually a tragedy: the numerous divisions in the Body of Christ. The best one I've come across recently was brought to my attention by Reason, and is written by the son of a friend of mine. It's called "Denominational Affiliation for Writers of the Bible," and I thought it was hysterical. The only one I disagree with is James -- if the reason given shows it to be Catholic, I think it should also be assigned Jewish, Italian, and German peasant writers. Luther had a wide range of dislikes :-)
2. A joke from Stuart: Where do Biblical eggs get together? At the syn-eggnog.
3. Dave Freer is a South African science fiction writer published via my favorite publishing company, Baen, who is moving to Tasmania. I've been following the adventures (and it is truly an adventure!) on his blog, and he told a marvelous story about a gecko this week.
4. Sara wrote before about our experience with Walter Jon Williams. I read a real-life article this week that sounded incredibly like Williams' book "This is Not a Game." I found it absolutely fascinating. I have sometimes fantasized about trying to do this myself, but I am way too much of a homebody to just up and leave like that.
H/T to Eve Tushnet (whose blog usually I find too sharp for my taste, but this was a neat link.)
5. There was a very interesting discussion on Faith and Family Live this week about doctor visits and teenagers. I suppose I should put more thought into this -- after all, I have talked to a number of clients at work who have run into issues with overzealous doctors and/or rebellious teenagers. After reading the discussion, I was mainly just glad that Addie is only eight.
6. This video called "The Advent Conspiracy" is a really cool idea. Our church is holding a special collection this Sunday (at least, if church isn't canceled due to a winter storm that’s predicted) to give food to local hungry people. As Deacon Dave said last week, "We aren’t talking a can or two of soup here. Buy the whole case!"
7. And on a related topic, I know that everyone has his or her favorite charity to give to, but I would like to highlight the Home School Foundation as a very worthy candidate of your generosity. It does terrific work helping single parents and those in need of financial assistance to be able to keep teaching their children at home during tough economic times.
Happy Advent and Merry Christmas to you all!
--DJ
Friday, December 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ha, ha, Stuart! I want to know what a Biblical egg is, though.
~ Leah
Hurray for the Baen Free Library! I've several offerings from them. Thanks for the nod to a new [to me] author. I just dl'd "Forlorn", so I'll probably read it over Christmas and see how it is...
How did I miss the article about the vanishing guy? That's so cool. Walter Jon Williams all over! Except better explanations than Williams provides.
-- SJ
Post a Comment