It's culturally acceptable, especially in Christian subculture, to talk about the things you do that drive you crazy. The way you never can find your keys; the way you always spend a little extra time in bed in the morning; the way you realize that you don't like that certain person because her name bothers you. (Possibly this one isn't a universal problem.) It's always Godly and edifying to others to talk about ways you need to improve, after all.
Trouble is, you begin to identify yourself by your failings. (I use "you" in the generic sense, meaning, "Otherwise I'd have to admit I'm talking about myself.")The little flaws are always there, and obscure the fact that some things do change for the better.
The following list looks like a brag. That's not why I'm doing it. It's a reminder that for all the things I still haven't gotten the best of, there are other areas where I've learned to operate very smoothly. Therefore, here are some things that surprise me about myself in a good way:
1. I don't shout at the kids as much as I used to.
2. Nearly every morning, I've cleaned my kitchen, done a few chores, cooked breakfast for the kids, and am sitting down to do school with them by 10:00. Not bad when I get up at 7:45.
3. Although I hate lists and schedules, I run the household on a predictable routine.
4. I usually serve a hot supper, different from the one the night before, within fifteen minutes after Darren gets home.
5. I procrastinate like the world will never end, and still managed to meet three deadlines ahead of time -- even one that was advanced a few weeks unexpectedly.
6. I can't add actual numbers in my head, but I'm dead-on at estimating.
7. When I hear my daughter waking up finally, I don't linger at a blog post, but go immediately to her room to greet her and get her up. Yes. That's what I'm doing here. Not lingering. Certainly not grasping the last few shreds of Personal Space before liberating the toddler. Nope.
What are some things you'd put on your own "surprised myself" list?
-- SJ
Tuesday, February 03, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
For me, my #1 would be that even though I'm an Introvert (yes, that's with a capital "I"), I'm actually pretty good at teaching. At least, that's what the students tell me. ::heh::
Not a list, but I found it fascinating/hilarious/telling that you had to preface your list with an explanation.
That's a commentary on subculture attitudes and standards, not on you.
Kudos on the list!!
I have never yet admitted that my rising time is 7:45 but will here because I thought it an amazing coincidence that was yours as well. I am blessed to have children that sleep until then or later and a husband who loves me best in the morning when my mouth is closed in slumber.
Thanks for the list. I tend to see my failures and your list reminded me that it isn't all failure.
This is a good post. But I haven't surprised me yet. I'm that good.
Or maybe I'm just needing to step back and take a look at myself?
I enjoyed your list.
:-)
My top five would have to be:
5. I am getting better at waking up by myself by at least 8:30. Mom usually has to drag me out of bed at 10:00 while I beg for five more minutes.
4. I'm more a "big-sister" less a "second mom". I am getting along so much better with Emma because of this. (Claire's never had a problem with me playing the double roles. She loves me and informed me again of that, while crying when I told her that I was leaving to visit you for two weeks.)
3. I yell a lot less at Emma and Claire...Apparently, yelling at kids is common problem...=)
2. I, for the last 6 months, have kept my room extremely clean...and I've found that I love it that way!
1. I've learned the hardest lesson: Life isn't perfect. All we can do is help out where we can, and not give up. And I've been trying to help out as much as possible.
I loved your list. I'm so glad you are looking for the things you do right. Too many people waste their time being frustrated about what they're doing wrong. =)
I don't have a list... but I've been thinking about this lately in terms of my professional (or moving toward professional) context. I've noticed that I have a habit of presenting myself and my abilities mediocre-to-negatively because I don't want anyone to have too high of expectations, which I will of course disappoint. But not only is this a really bad way to get a job, it's not necessarily true. So I'm at least trying not to say negative things about myself and my work in public settings.
And generally speaking, complaining all the time about what a terrible person I am is probably not as edifying as all that. Although it tends to be all I can think about (which is so self-centered and terrible!) so it comes out.
I love number 1 and 2, am highly impressed by number 3 and 4, and 5-7 sound truly character revealing. I refuse to talk about any of my good points, however, because the last two times I did this bad things happened the next day- (ex: I said I was a forgiving person and you can guess what went down..) (: What the heck. I feel like I have made progress in:
1) giving my husband his space
2) sticking to our family budget
3) planning out a grocery list/menu (which is related to number 2)
Thanks for your list!
Glad I am not the only one with 6. And even though I hate schedules we do have a predictable routine, though it changes with time and throughout the year (usually adjusting around hubby's sleep schedule.) And I definitely do not yell as much as I used to.
Interestingly enough, even though my stress level at work has risen, I have found that little things don't bother me as much as they did in the past.
I laugh more than I did a year ago.
I like that I do not mind telling people that they shouldn't ask me to write the notes (my handwriting is terrible), or to be at an early meeting (I am always late!)
I get up a 5:30am, bright and shiny, get myself ready to go by 6:00, and help both my children get ready to go by 7:00am.
...O.K. the above is not the whole truth, just a senerio of what is supposed to happen! The only truth is that I get up at 5:30, well 5:40, 5:45....
There is a letter for Daph on my blog... let me know what you think. :-)
Post a Comment