Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, forty days of fasting and prayer before Easter. I'd like to take this opportunity to write something a little weightier and thoughtful than my usual fare. That, however, requires some time to devote to weightierness, thoughtfulness, and the time to articulate it. So maybe not this time.

In other years I've dreaded Lent, and last year I was in a spiritual sulk and tantrum for most of the year so I basically ignored Lent. This year I still don't feel properly "prepared"; I think I have the idea that I'm supposed to be spending time in deep prayer and devotions before I even get to the actual observance. Not that I tend to set my standards too high.

My personal prayer for Lent is to understand God the Father as loving and good, not as a spiteful and whimsical. Not that I've got some issues here.

I was once told that I could become an intercessor, one who prays for others. Ha, ha, I laugh -- I can't focus on a prayer for more than twenty seconds at a time. But I'd like to try, for this season. If you have a request that you'd specifically like prayed over for the next forty days, email me (exaltedwater at comcast dot net or my juno address) or leave a request in the comment section, anonymous if you like, although I would like some kind of initial or identifying name -- not necessarily yours, just something to think of you by.

Even if you don't observe Lent -- and as one coming from a Southern Baptist background, and reliving all the discovery and puzzlement of traditional Church practices through conversations with my niece these last two weeks, I sympathize -- stop occasionally and reflect that whatever struggles, issues, or impossibly high standards you're not overcoming, the hope and triumph of Easter is coming!

-- SJ

6 comments:

Zana said...

I'm trying something similar this year. I really stink at Lenten disciplines, and I know that's a failing on my part. ::Sigh:: But this year I'm committed to praying daily, concertedly, for my husband and for my church. I figure if I can focus on those two things, I'm doing well. And I completely admire your fortitudinous challenge of intercessory prayer!

That being said... would be willing to pray for the philosopher to find a job? Like so many other good people facing unemployment, he found out that his adjunct teaching position will not be renewed for the fall, and is concerned about what the future will hold.

Blessed Lent to you and DJ!!!

Kelly Sauer said...

Sara, I've just started reading L'Engle's "The Irrational Season" and she's going through each of the church "seasons". What she had to say about Lent really got me thinking yesterday - I had to put the book down. She's going through the Beatitudes... I can really recommend it (can you get it through ILL?) if you want some thinkingish writing about God on it...

Queen of Carrots said...

Well, this sounds neither as serious or spiritual as prayer requests are supposed to be, but we could desperately use some sleep. OK, not some. A lot of sleep. DOB and I are riding on the edge of being too incoherent to function normally. We are working at getting the babies to sleep in the other room, but it's going to take awhile and take a lot of adjustments from the other kids, too.

the Joneses said...

Zana - I would be willing to pray! This is not an ideal time to be job-hunting.

Kelly - I've never read much L'Engle. I'll look for the book.

QoC - Sleep isn't a spiritual request. It's only a basic necessity like food and water. I'll GLADLY pray for sleep for you!

Any more?

-- SJ

Anonymous said...

Please pray that I will feel closer to God, reject fearful thoughts, and have more confidence in His love. Thanks. And I'll be praying for you too. :)
C

the Joneses said...

C - Will pray. And thanks for yours in return.

-- SJ