Earlier this week, Stuart complained that his leg hurt. But it always "hurt" about the time he had to go somewhere he didn't want to. We ignored it until yesterday, when he was unable to straighten it out or walk on it. Okay, fine, it's really hurt.
After a morning at the ER, with Xrays and lots more time poring over a Where's Waldo book than I really enjoyed, the results came back: Um, there's nothing wrong, really. They wrapped up his knee and gave him some crutches and said to keep him off it until we can see a doctor about it.
You caught the important part, right? About the crutches? Let me repeat that. They gave him crutches. Stuart loves those crutches. They are everything he ever dreamed of. There's the very minor detail that he can't actually use them properly, but he doesn't actually need them so that really isn't a problem after all. The point is, he's got CRUTCHES. We're smokin' cool here.
The thing with most people is that they look at crutches with way too utilitarian mindset. Yes, of course, they're useful. But they're also good for accessorizing and attracting girls. Here, Stuart demonstrates the wider possiblities of crutches. Notice how Mollie is mesmerized by him. Or them, rather, but you have to start somewhere:
-- SJ
Saturday, July 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That's awesome! LOL I remember as a child wishing so badly that I could have a cast so people could write on it. I have never broken any bones, so I have never had a cast. At this point, I hope it never happens. Funny how you change your mind as you grow older. I did sprain my ankle once and wanted my brother to sign my ace bandage...
Pretty funny! He doesn't really look like he needs them...but he sure seems to enjoy them. We had a similar thing with daughter #2, whose crutches I tripped over for YEARS after she was done with them...
Ha! Ha! That brings back memories of the occasional student I've had who has had crutches. They were always exuberant with joy, and the other students were always awed and jealous!
I love how he starts out using them, and then just drags them along behind him! Classic!
That explains why DOB had crutches tucked under his arm when he first came out to meet me . . .
Nina said:
I didn't realize that Mollie was so interested in Stuart and his crutches. Although, after she followed him everywhere, making sure he was ok, she surely enjoyed trying out his crutches, as did Addie. I think the girls used the crutches more that evening than he did.
Mollie's comment today (Addie's Birthday) : "I spent a lot of time with Stuart yesterday, because of his leg. It is Addie's urn today, because it is her birthday!"
What I like is how Mollie stops and looks both ways before crossing the street, while Stuart doesn't remember until he's halfway across.
-- SJ
Stuart, you crack me up. You have crutches the way I have always dreamed of being sick: Too sick to go to work or school but not too sick to keep me from reading books and watching movies.
Post a Comment