Thursday, March 15, 2007

Half a Loaf is Better Than... Cardboard

I've always kept a tally of the few books which were improved by a movie version, such as The Princess Bride and The Lord of the Rings. Ha, ha, did I blow any fuses? Of course not LOTR, although the loss of Tom Bombadil in the film version wasn't exactly soul-wrenching. As it happens, it's a quarter till twelve right now and I can't remember any of the other books on my tally (Princess Bride still stands). But that's really not my point, merely my introduction to get to my point. Which I now come to.

I've now been exposed to the world of children's books and videos, and have made discoveries. There are amazingly clever children's books. Some of these books have been translated into very enjoyable videos. The Magic School Bus and Charlie and Lola are two hits in this household: the books are fun to read, and the videos are fun to watch.

But since this is America, where our unspoken motto is "As long as you can make money off it, beat that dead horse!", the companies who produce the videos then turn around and base books on the videos. And these books are almost invariably worthless. For one thing, the shows necessarily have to distill the book into an easy-to-grasp structure. So the Magic School Bus class goes from fifteen or twenty anonymous children saying funny things and writing informative reports in the margins of the book, to six children with fixed personalities. That works great for the video: there's so much moving action going on that you like having a handle on the kids, and you don't really need the extras from the book. But when these characters reappear in print, in books with broad-stroke illustrations and none of the original marginal discussions, they're like Sprite without the fizz. The books completely fail in their original purpose, to educate children about science. They just make money.

Charlie and Lola is a new discovery for me. Both the books and videos portray very good sibling relations, and the videos in addition have the most charming British accents. I came across the videos first, so set out to find the books. The first one I read was just as entertaining as the videos (well, almost. You couldn't hear the accents.) I was disappointed with the second one. It wasn't clever, just tedious. It took the original ideas and recycled them, but didn't do anything new. And then I realized: this one had the Charlie and Lola logo on it. It was commercialized. It just made money.

I find this practice utterly despicable. (Had you guessed that?) It's like serving children fresh-baked bread, and as soon as you see that they like it, substituting cardboard in the shape of bread. Children learn to like a book for the characters pictured inside, not for the actual story. As they get older, they're not likely to wander from familiar characters to explore new, un-logoed worlds. Basically, they'll read just to extend their video fix.

I suppose all I can do to fight the trend is make sure that my children get the original loaf, not the cardboard substitution. We'll still watch videos and we'll still read books -- we'll just take care not to mix the two.

-- SJ

(The same thought goes for the Baby Einstein series. The first few are charming and just a little unpolished. Then Disney bought it out, and produced slick and polished in-the-manner-of videos, as well as a spin-off series, whose only charm is what they borrow from the first ones. Make money or die!)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could not agree with you more. I've noticed that same thing about books-based-on-TV-shows-based-on-books, and it's bad.

Queen of Carrots said...

Oy. Indeed. And the same thing happens without videos, too, I suspect (though I may just be too ignorant of the vast world of children's videos). Our library has a large shelf devoted to these endless knockoffs: Curious George knockoffs, Little Bear knockoffs, Clifford knockoffs, Winnie the Pooh knockoffs. The first one--a children's classic. The next few by the original author--still worthy bedtime reading. The endless repetition of the same character by anonymous hacks at the publishing house? I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole. (Unfortunately, the aforementioned large shelf is strategically placed right at the edge of the play area, where it's as far as most kids or parents ever get in looking for books.)

Barbara said...

I hadn't realized Charlie and Lola was available in book form. Shows you how much I know. LOL

I try to stay away from the books made from shows thing. Inevitably, the kids want me to read in the voices they hear from the show and, while I'm pretty good with voices, I'm not that good! Luckily, the kids are getting older and their taste in books is maturing. Jacob has discovered the Magic Tree House series and is making his way through Beverly Cleary. (these are fun to read again!) We've also begun reading A Series of Unfortunate Events...although I haven't seen the movie.

em said...

Not your main point, but... Princess Bride the book is much better! I love the ending, so much more honest.

Rose said...

Sara, I'm sure your first-paragraph list included Mary Poppins, Star Wars, The Sound of Music, and the Jungle Book.

And I hate that copycat trend! My first exposure to it came in the mid-nineties when all things L.M. Montgomery were very much in vogue and there was a TV series - based on the book The Story Girl - called Road To Avonlea. And then they came out with a cheap paperback book series BASED on the TV series. I couldn't stand the sub-title: 'Based on the TV series inspired by the novels of L.M. Montgomery.' UGH!

the Joneses said...

Rose -- STAR WARS DOESN'T COUNT. It was a movie before it was a book, AS I might have mentioned the NUMEROUS times we have had this discussion.

QoC -- Stuart came home with a generic Winnie-the-Pooh book once, and I finally hid it so I wouldn't have to read it. I hated them to think it was Real Pooh.

The Clifford videos are fair to middling. I found an original Clifford book, though, and it was rather charming. It lost a lot in the journey to video.

Barbara -- I saw the "based on the books by Lauren Hill" in the credits of the show. I need to find the Magic Tree House series now that Addie's reading chapter books.

em -- Princess Bride is light and rollicking as a movie. It's dark and unsettling as a book. I always go for the light.

Rose -- You put that in on purpose, didn't you?

Queen of Carrots said...

Mary Poppins and the Jungle Book are both WAY better as books.

Booker said...

HA! Starwars: The Adventures of Luke Skywalker came out BEFORE the movie. Please get your geek info right ;-)

of course, in perfect honesty, it WAS based on the screen play, but the movie had NOT been produced yet.

I have this in writing from George Lucas[may he burn FOREVER btw] himself in the introduction to the Starwars Trilogy that I own.

Barbara said...

Sara...I think Addie will love the Magic Tree House series. Some of them have guides to compliment the book. They're quick reads, though. Jacob can go through one in two days.

Anonymous said...

The Tales of Avonlea series is a good adaptation of the books, The Golden Road and The Story Girl. And only die-hards will know that some elements/characters were from other books like Chronicles of/Further Chronicles of Avonlea. My teenage brothers (16 and 19) still enjoy them to this day (although nostalgia could be a motivating factor on that one).

Anonymous said...

Ok as a BIG children's literature fan, I couldn't agree more. I hate reading those knock off Winnie-the-Pooh, and to be honest,my kids really don't seem to like them!!

Arthur books (Marc Brown) and the cartoon version are pretty good actually. Here are some for discussion... Polar Express, Alice and Wonderland, and my favorite Wizard of Oz. All of these I think made good books AND movies!

the Joneses said...

I haven't yet read Polar Express, although the movie was okay... Addie certainly loved it. My family used Alice in Wonderland quotes almost daily, but mostly from the cartoon; I really need to re-read the original book. I was lost most of the way through it when I was younger.

Wizard of Oz (not, as I originally typed, Ox) was a good adaptation; in fact, it had the added benefit of being shorter than the actual book, while still keeping the story intact. Movies simply have to change things from the book, or it doesn't play like a movie. The first Harry Potter movie was particularly bad in that respect.

Speaking of Harry Potter, Book #7 comes out in only four months!! Nina, are we going to get babysitters for a couple of days so we can read the book as soon as it comes out? :)

-- SJ