Saturday, March 10, 2007

An Addie Sampler

Considering that Addie didn't speak until she was two and a half, her verbal expression has come a long way. She spends most of her time with a book and evidently she retains much of what she reads... both actual quotes, and the general literary flavor. My mother says we need to take away whatever she's been reading because she's starting to sound like Elsie Dinsmore. (I don't think Elsie Dinsmore ever read a children's version of The Odyssey.)

As for the traditional Randomizer remarks, they're rarer now that she can explain her mental associations. But never fear: her mental associations are decidedly random.

Here's a recent sampling of Addie Remarks:

* "I was wishing and wishing to make juice from clementines, and now you generously made my wish come true!"

* "I was going to get the princess, but suddenly the pony caught my eye."

* "When I thought I had to leave Mollie’s, I was in despair. But suddenly, an idea came to me: I could go back tomorrow afternoon! So then I was happy."

* (Rainbow the stuffed rabbit speaking) "I will not let one noise keep even one of Addie’s eyes awake!"

* (Reading a book about Johnny Appleseed): "Mama! I just found out that John Chapman [Johnny Appleseed] was a bookworm! Like our sixteenth president, Abraham Lincoln! Actually, he was a Bible worm."

* "Little girls who can't watch Polar Express are angry!"

* (When I noticed her eating something): "It's just a biscuit, not poison."

* (Reading a condensed version of Ozma of Oz): "There were as many of Ozma's soldiers as the Books of the New Testament!"

-- SJ

3 comments:

Linds said...

My favorite was "little girls who can't watch the Polar Express are angry!"
I love her way of referring to herself in some form of third person.
Love you!

Rachelle said...

What brilliant children you have! -rlr

Rose said...

Those are hilarious!! I can just imagine her wispy little voice saying those things. It's a good thing you are writing (typing) these down.