I'm kind of embarrassed to post it, though. I set out to compose an ode in the grand tradition of my family, which generally contains lines like:
I'm sure glad you're my mother
Because you wouldn't be if I'd been born to another.
But I completely lost my head and ended up with something that:
1. Has no meter or rhyme
2. Is kind of a serious effort
My apologies, Mom. I'll try not to work as hard on it next year. Hope this entertains you meanwhile.
An Ideal Mother
Question:
When you were growing up,
Did your mother bake
cookies?
Did she take you to a salon for a mother-daughter “spa day”?
Did she plan fun, creative activities for you?
Lucky! You must have had an ideal mother.Answer:
Yes!
She baked cookies!
Only, it wasn’t
cookies, it was food. Cooked from scratch, every day. Rice and gravy, barbecue
chicken, potato salad (served warm!), red beans and rice, field peas and
butterbeans, pork chops, corn on the cob, meatloaf. Cookies? Pfft, she just
bought those.
She took me to a salon for a mother-daughter “spa day”!
Except not really to a
salon so much. She didn’t care much about facials and manicures. Planting
roses, chopping wood, and refinishing furniture does a number on painted
fingernails. No, we left the Scrabble game set up all the time and played a
lot. And she gave me books that she’d really liked. And we sat together and
talked a lot. Spa days? That would have interfered with our visiting.
She planned fun and creative activities for me!
Or, rather, she left me
alone to read, play the computer, ride my bike, swim in the creek, make up
stories. That was fun. When I told her about what I was thinking of, she had
lots of ideas and suggestions and laughed at my jokes. That helped me be
creative. She was always there when I needed her, and not in the way when I
needed time to myself. Plan my
activities? Where’s the fun in that?
Why, yes, I did have an ideal mother.
Thanks for noticing.
I love you, Mom! Happy Birthday!
-- SJ
4 comments:
Loved it!
I feel like a enjoyed some of the benefits of your ideal mother. Happy birthday, Mrs. Mary!
Aw, that was pretty sweet!
Another good one, Sara. I especially like the list foods.
Post a Comment