* September 11, 2001 didn't profoundly change the way I live. I didn't ignore it -- who could? Even with no internet access (we had only dial-up, and all the servers were jammed) and a tiny TV with very fuzzy access, I followed the story like everybody else. I watched and cried and held my three-month-old baby, shattered at the thought that there were evil people who wouldn't take mercy even on a mother with a child. A month later I walked through airport security, lugging Addie's impossibly heavy carseat, past soldiers with automatic rifles, on my way to my sister's wedding. I cried again.
But as for realizing life's uncertainty, facing the fact that there was evil in the world, and appreciating every day of life I had... I already lived like that. I lost two fathers by the time I was twenty. I grew up Baptist, which considers everybody capable of terrorism unless redirected at an early age. I come from a very down-to-earth family that doesn't rage against the cosmos very often. (Well, we do, but only about topics like stupid baby names and Daylight Savings Time.)
There aren't soldiers in my family, and DC, PA, and NY don't have anything to do with our daily lives.
I did let go of the thought that I need to do all the right things so God will protect me, and that it's up to me to defend God from critics. If He's the God of all the Universe, He can handle His own arguments.
Ultimately, the attacks rocked my world, but not my foundations.
* We start school today. I'm a mixture of excitement and dread. Addie and Stuart are doing fourth/fifth/sixth grade (homeschooling is too flexible for The System, which is part of my mission statement), and I'm feeling the weight of responsibility. We're doing two Alpha-Omega SoS classes and Teaching Textbooks (also computer-based) for math, freeing me of preparation and teaching in three subjects.
Daphne starts kindergarten/first grade/second grade. Maybe instead of "flexible," homeschoolers should be considered "fluid."
* Men who have time to listen to podcasts (as opposed to me, a woman who has no time to listen to podcasts): check out my friend Mike's "The Married Man Podcast" on Facebook. As he and his buddies say, they're not licensed counselors, but they ARE all happily married so that counts for something.
* In the last two weeks, Phillip's vocabulary has expanded from two words (Mama, Dada) to at least seven: ball, juice, bee, yeah, no (which he says as "mo"), cheese, fish, and -- my favorite -- "Diddy" for Addie.
* What he can't say is, "Oh, Mama, here's where I put the camera when I played with it last week and lost it."
* In other news, we lost the new camera we bought two weeks ago. This replaced the one we broke on vacation in June. Which replaced the one we lost back this winter. Now my friend Deidre understands why I reacted with horror when she offered to let me borrow their camera to take on a day trip with us.
-- SJ
Monday, September 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
You wonderful girl, Sara Lynn.
Your Sept 11 item brought tears & respect; your homeschooling update on fluidity provoked a "Yep, so true" response; and your Pip & camera wail made me laugh out loud and want to hug you tight!!!
Second time to write this comment.
I said that I hope the excitement won out over the dread, that your school grades remind me of my elementary classrooms, and that you forgot to mention Big and Stupid Tires and Vanity Plates as subjects for rants.
Hope the Joneses are having a great
I copied the comment, it didn't post, this is third try. I am using the stupid verification code. If it doesn't work as Anonymous, I will post comment directly on FB.
Traveling so shortly after that must have been emotional. Wow.
I like the way you say "Ultimately, the attacks rocked my world, but not my foundations."
Fluid... yes. I like to tell people that Daph came out of the womb talking, which is only a slight exaggeration. And I'm truly surprised that Addie hasn't written a novel by now and Stuart hasn't written a math text book. Seriously, you have some smart kids.
How does one find this fb podcast? Do you have to friend him?
I don't think I've heard Pip say Diddy yet, but I want to.
Yeah, I was at bestbuy browsing tablets and realizing they are too much $ for us, when I passed the cameras, I was tempted to hunt down one of the associates and ask if there is camera insurance. I really doubt it. But there should be and the Joneses should buy some.
Down with "The System"!
"Diddy" needs to hang with "Eye-ya", "Caa", "Teggy", "Zits", and "Kittle" sometime ;)
Please add to your rage against the cosmos... teenagers that drive way to fast through neighborhoods!
There is a formal school term for your 'flexiblity' and 'fluid' learning... Differenciation. I call it good teaching that makes sense and schools should do more of it!!
-Nina
What you need to do is give Pip something he thinks is important, and pretend to go to sleep. Have a sibling follow him around until he puts the object somewhere. Maybe the camera will be there too!
I love you but you are NEVER borrowing my camera which is off at some unknown location in New York where they are supposed to fix it.
I just heard of Teaching Textbooks over the summer and will be using that by 4th grade (if not before).
And no, you don't have to "friend" the podcast guys. You can find The Married Men Podcast here: http://www.facebook.com/TheMarriedManPodcast or on ITunes.
Oh I LOVE "Diddy," and I hope the camera has been found!
Post a Comment